1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S475 leaking oil

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Machineto0l, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Machineto0l

Just installed a bed mount s475 83mm bw in my S10. Running a 4an feed, 10an return thru a turbowerx spartan into fuel pump block off plate on a sbc. Had it out today, worked well except it was pushing oil out the turbine side. No sharp bends in return, m55 oil pump. 60psi cold, 20psi hot at idle. 20170426_111726.jpg #ad
    Any ideas?

2. -ss-

ID of an10 might be too small.. fuel pump shaft hole is guite small too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Mnlx

Pics of the scavenge pump setup?

4. tbird

What Mnlx said.

I have a s480 rearmount , 10 drain line with a 90 right at the turbo, with a tilton oil pump 4 inches above the drain of the turbo.
    No issues.

Machineto0l likes this.
  5. Machineto0l

Where does yours drain into?

6. Machineto0l

That is where my pump is located, flows directly out of turbo thru a 30 degree 10 an fitting into the turbowerx pump.

20170413_113638.jpg #ad

7. Machineto0l

The hole in the block into the pan was at least 3/4".

8. Machineto0l

Another pic of drain

20170426_122444.jpg #ad

9. Machineto0l

Could it be my breather setup? I had one 16 year old worn out breather and a non hooked up pcv valve in valve covers. I ordered new covers with 1.25" breathers.

10. -ss-

Shaft hole is 0.5" .. hole to the pan might be even smaller. Together they might be enough.
    IMGP1783.jpg #ad

11. Machineto0l

I'll have to dig into it I guess. I hate this project... Wish I never started it.

12. tbird

Pumps back into the oil pan.
    I did mid a mount with the same pump that we pump back to the valve cover.

Over time I have seen peeps that had luck returning oil back to the fuel pump block off plate. At the same time , seen peeps that it never worked for. I dont think its a good place to return to.

13. Mnlx

It's being pumped back to the motor, so I really doubt the fuel pump hole is an issue. Sometimes a check valve is needed to keep the feed line from emptying when the engine is shut down, other than that I'd look at the pump, or possibly build a sump before the pump. If the crankcase is decently vented that should be fine as well, as oil is pumped back vs gravity.

14. Machineto0l

I know I had venting problems so I'm fixing that first. Worst case I may have to pull the engine to put a bung on the pan.

15. tbird

In my opinion the scavenge pump should be able to overcome normal crank case pressure. Do what you think needs to be done on the venting. Remember that the PCV valve does nothing a WOT. So technically you will only have one vent at WOT when crankcase pressure could be at its highest. On the mid mount I did , after 3 years he broke a piston. It was venting heavily out the breathers everytime time it was driven. Never once had issue with scavenge oil backing up.

If your venting doesnt fix the problem, I would take the exhaust housing off and clean out the oil. Put it back together and unhook the oil drain from the pump and let it drain into a drain pan and see if it is still getting wet. If its still a problem, pull the drain and make sure there are no restrictions. Hell, pull the drain off and see what it does.

16. Machineto0l

Thanks for the input. I plan to take the hose off at the engine and dump it into a jug while running to see how it flows. I am hoping it's a breathing issue.. as I've seen a lot of guys using the fuel plate as a return with no issues. Normal idling was fine, the issue appeared at wot btw.