1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S475 and S480 dimensional difference

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 64nailhead, Jan 25, 2020.

1. 64nailhead

Are the turbos in the title the same size dimensionally if they have the same turbine housing?

Asking because I'm looking to buy a Borg 171702 S475, but have a VS S480 that I can use for fitment fabrication until I get the S475.

2. Bad Medicine Racing

On the turbine side they are pretty much the same. If one has the race compressor cover and the other does not there will be some minor differences in the compressor cover. Unless you are trying to cram 10lbs in a 5lb sack it will not be enough to matter though. Keep in mind the standard cover has a V band outlet so it is bulkier than the slip fit on the race cover.

3. 64nailhead

Thanks. I'm going to use the 'standard cover' for now.

And I have a fair amount of room - G-body.

Bad Medicine Racing likes this.
  4. Mnlx

I believe there are differences in the turbine side, but i think change with the turbine wheel. The 83 or 87 have a slightly different down pipe location than the 96mm. Never compared a copy to genuine bw though.

5. B E N

My 83mm turbine wheel on an s472 used a different downpipe connection than the 96mm on my s480

6. Mnlx

The 96, 83, and even the odd 73mm I have (T6) use the same clamp and starter pipe, but the dp outlet is a little further back on the 96 iirc. The T4 stuff is different, but that's quite easy to spot.

7. Bad Medicine Racing

Yeah probably be a good idea to wait on the DP until you have the turbo you plan to use.

8. 64nailhead

I'm using a T6 for sure and I expect to use a 1.32 turbine housing, unless it works out really badly. I wish I could afford to try 2 or 3 different setups lol. I think the S475 will get me where I want to be, but it would be great to be able to swap to the S480 easily. I'm basing some of this on Happel's 4.8 with an S475.

I've been discussing an S480 with Forced Inductions that they say will be capable of 1200+ easily and will still work like a 171702 Borg on the bottom side, but it's about double the $ of the 171702.

Too many choices :( and not enough money

Thanks for the responses.

9. Bad Medicine Racing

What are your goals? Here is my G body making a 6.0X 1/8 mile pass with a S475 on a 4.8. Fwiw, if you are going to use a 4.8 I recommend getting a S475 with the 96mm 1.10 turbine housing. Little more $$ but worth it for the spool.

Disney Lincoln and 64nailhead like this.
  10. 64nailhead

9 seconds is the goal. I have 4.8 presently, but expect to keep a spare in the waiting room.

Kidding aside - junkyard stuff, 4.8 or 5.3 for the season, then build something substantial in the future. Realistically sub 1000hp. If I can keep the low budget stuff together, then perhaps I'll stick with it.

11. Bad Medicine Racing

I love the gen IV junkyard stuff. I am scared to try mine in the 1/4. Last time I did was probably 10 years ago and around 3 tenths and 5-6 mph slower in the 1/8 and it went 9.70@143. I thought it wasn't gonna stop. I'm fairly sure it would be low 9s at 150 now.

12. 64nailhead

I went this the 171702 S475 with the 1.32, and just got it running. And you were correct that the 1.32 is large for this dinky motor. At idle I can watch the compressor spin it's going so slowly. It's humorous.

Fortunately the 2 step seems to get me into 4-5 lbs so for launching it.

13. turbofreek

if both have standard cover same dimensions physically. t6 and t4 are different flange sizes and location depth if i remember right. t6 is longer or further away from turbine wheel by about 1 inch or so.
    race housing on comp side is much bigger than the standard cover. there is a reason people buy bw lver the china stuff.

14. tbird

A buddy of mine pointed that out to me. Now I see bunches of ching chang or custom built s480s with billet wheels and they still have a standard cover. The race cover is the big gain.

turbofreek likes this.
  15. turbofreek

yea the cover is worth 75-125hp alone on the 80mm

16. 64nailhead

I ended up buying the 171702. We've had it running for the better part May and June, but was just able to get it registered a couple of weeks ago - thank you Covid19. I chased some tranny troubles for a couple of weeks, but they've been ironed out for the better part of 5 weeks. Initially I threw in a stock converter from Advance Auto, and I was really re-thinking the 1.32 S475 lol. It was taking 3-4 seconds t make 2 lbs of boost, but I had a plan (financial) to just get the entire car sorted out before I bought a converter so I stuck with the entire setup with the stock converter. 3 weekends ago I got the 8.8 installed with a kit from SSM that included torque arms and was supposed to improve instant center - it did.I would recommend it to anyone with a G-body, good price, good support and easy to deal with.

I should mention some details - Gen 3 4.8 with 706 heads, Elgin SS2, Pac 1218 springs, Gen 3 truck intake, twin AEm 380's, SEP 1500 injectors on E85 (tester says it's E70), Holley Terminator Max X, and the 171702 1.32 A/R S475. At 21psi and 12 degrees at 11.5 AFR it made 675whp on a Mustang dyno on the stock converter.

At this point I ordered a Freakshow 9.5" single disk with all of the stall he could put in it. And all I can say is 'wow'. Spools normally and lights off almost as fast my kid's 421 Motown with an S480. Drieability increased by a factor of 4 and OMG is it triple the fun to drive. Micheal at Freakshow hit it very well on the 1st whack. Now I need to find a track that is open so I can test out my new Mickey SS's.

draginmopars and turbofreek like this.
  17. 64nailhead

Been a while since getting on here and wanted to give an update. Found a track and sufficiently broke the tranny in 5 passes. Had an idea things were going badly by the end of the 3rd pass. Took the transmission to a my trans Dr. and he took care of it. I battled with injectors for the next month or two before throwing in the towel on the SnakeEater JUNK. Swapped in an aluminum 5.3 and kept the 4.8 as the backup. Threw in a set of Deka 80's and ran C16. Next outing got into the 10's with 6 passes. Took a while to get my launching even reasonable. The last two outings got me to 10.3 and 10.2 respectively at 138 and 139. It seems that is the point that officials don't like not being fully certified as I got threw out in 2 passes at each. The last time was at Atco - $100 for test-n-tune and got 2 passes. So we are onto safety equipment for the winter lol.

I figured out my launching boost issues and slow boost building after getting back. Will be installing a Co2 system over the winter, along with 9" wheel ends on the 8.8 for axle retention, proper seat belt and seat bracing. Hopefully that should keep from getting the boot until I get in the lower 9's.

If I can get 4-6 passes on the same day without getting thrown out, then I'm confident this combo will run mid 9's, and still drive back and forth to work lol.

Forcefed86 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  18. Forcefed86

Congrats! Don't be afraid to wind it up a bit! What are you shifting it at? boost? Every time I upped the RPM and loosened the converter I've gone quicker. Last years best with the 4.8 was going 8.80 @ 158. (VSR Billet S480, summit STG2 on 22lbs) LIttel 4.8 has zero trouble getting on the 2 step with the 1.32 T6. Unfortunately I hit a slick spot on the track and destroyed the car. It's a shame I just had it dialed in and running well.

19. 64nailhead

Boost is 21-23 psi, presently shifting 1-2 at 6500 and 2-3 at 6800. Those are ultra conservative, I know. But I really didn't want to stretch it to mid 7's until I need that at the line. I thought it would be more sensible to keep the motor in one piece and try to figure out how to get it off the line. Maybe my thinking with this wasn't the most sensible, but it makes sense to me lol ;)

I thought of loosening the converter some more also, but again, I thought my money could be spent elsewhere with more results at the moment. I do expect to loosen it at some point. I'd like to make it through 2021 with the current stall - time will tell.

Sorry to hear that you had issues. I take it the car is a total loss? Plans for what's next?

20. Forcefed86

Its actually harder on them to short shift, esp with a tightest converter. You want to be as far away from PK TQ as possible at all times with an SBE to keep it alive and healthy. You never want the RPM to fall down near PKTQ on the shifts as it puts twice the load/ cyl pressure on the bottom end. So while sounds a bit unorthodox, buzzing it to 7k ish with a loose converter is actually easier on it. MUCH easier. Was tough for me to swallow as well coming from the old Buick v6 crowd.

Yes, car was a total loss made a full 8.8 pass at 156 and spun out just past the finish line. I lucked out and walked away without a scratch. Wasn't even sore the next day.... basically skipped down the guard rail.

Building a 27 Model T now. Sticking to 1/8th mile with it. Should be fun around 2300lbs!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad