1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Starting A Build

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by D. Miles, Dec 10, 2011.

1. D. Miles

Hello all! I'm starting my first attempt at a turbo engine. I have been building and racing Pontiacs all my life, my last car was a tube chassis 1965 Pontiac LeMans with a 455 Pontiac engine, than car ran a best of 9.14 @ 146 on a bad track in bad air. I didn't enjoy the tube chassis thing much as even with a 1.24 60 foot and running 146 mph the car felt like it had 1.50 60 foot times and felt like it was going 155 mph, I guess that was because the car was doing what it was supposed to do. I missed the street scene and always wanted to build a turbo engine so now I am doing both, a turbo charged streetcar. I still love Pontiac power but just the cost of the block alone is half of would I can build a complete turbo charged small block Chevy for. My motor is going to be a 4.125 bore Little M block 3.875 stroke 414 with Patriot 225 heads, I have 6" Eagle H-beams w/L19 bolts and Mahle coated nitrous/blower pistons, the compression will be 10:1. I bought a set of OBX 1 7/8ths ss headers, I have a Holley HP EFI system, a set of 120 lb injectors coming, a 6061.com throttle body adapter and a 92 mm throttle body. The last piece of the puzzle is the turbo itself. For a while Cecil County was thinking about adopting the RS 275 class from down south which had a 76 mm turbo limit so bought a BW S475, well Cecil is not going with RS 275 but will adopt either Ultimate or Ultra street which allows an 80 mm with a minimum weight of 3250. But I'm thinking just build what I want to go have fun, run fast as I can with no regulatory rules. I'm currently looking at C.R.T.'s 88 and 91 mm Garrett based turbo, I talked to Chris and he is recommending that I go with the 91 mm with a 1.39 A/R tubine housing, I forget what size wheel he told me but i'm thinking it was 112 mm... What do you guys think? that turbo also comes standard with the T6 1.23 A/R housing with a 96 mm wheel. As for BOVs and wastegates I'm thinking 60 mm for both. I'll have tons more questions as I move into the details of the build... D. Miles

2. yellowpony

Don, couple questions, what cam, solid, hydraulic? How fast do YOU want to go. Set a goal and build around that. I learned from a member on here (thank wantabe) that the trend now is to go large turbine and tight ar to aid in responsiveness. I would call forced inductions or reed at work turbochargers before settling on one option.

Anthony

3. D. Miles

Thanks Anthony. I'm going solid roller, I was looking at a grind Herbert has 278/286 adv. 242/246 @ .050 .378/.390 which will give me .604 and .624 @ the valve with a 1.6 rocker with a 114 lobe sep. My goal is 1000 HP at the wheels so I figure aim for just past that to make sure. I read Slammed98GMC's build and saw what he accomplished with an S480 first then an S488, ET/MPH wise, 8.70's-8.80's @ 155ish, that's my goal. Now I think I follow you when you say "large turbine, tight A/R" you mean like a 100+ mm turbine wheel with say a 1.00-1.10 A/R. C.R.T.'s HP 88 and HP 91's are both mid frame units that come with either a 1.08 or 1.23 A/R and a 96 mm wheel while the upgrade is a 1.39 A/R with a 112 mm wheel (I Think!). When I asked Chris about spool time right away he said FAST very fast and definately quicker than a standard 96mm/1.32 A/R S400 series BW, he said it has an extremely aggressive turbine wheel. I did talk to Jose @ Forced Inductions, that's who I bought my S475 from, he said for my goals, an S480 with a race cover would be right on the edge, he did recommend an S488 but still with the 96mm/1.32 turbine I just don't have $1649. My budget was built around the S480 w/race cover which is $1187, I figured an extra $150 for 200 more HP is a small price to pay so I can work around it. D. Miles