1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

s400 ls 4th gen

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by onebad98z, Dec 10, 2010.

1. onebad98z

well after purchasing a roller some 4 years ago it is finally alive.. not finished but at least i got to hear it make some noise!!!!!! man is it a good feeling Motor is a 4.8, used for mock up and testing while 6.0 is being assembled..

details are
    4.8l z06 cam ls2 timing chain and ls6 valve springs and oil pump. ls1 intake, truck coils
    truck manifolds
    s475, jgs gate and bov
    ebay fmic
    dual intank walbro pumps 8-an feed 6-an return magnafuel reg.
    80lb injectors (waiting to be installed)
    Stock 99 fbody pcm, standalone harness built from scratch, (holding out to loom it untill car is fully complete
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

th400 with griner tbrake 3600 stall ford9" 3.89 gear
    [​IMG]#ad

2. Mnlx

looks good... what turbine, and A/R on your S400?

3. turbo_72nova

nice build what are you waiting on to get some numbers out of this thing

4. luckythirteen13

is that silicone coupler going to be ok right above the turbo? Looks great :2thumbs:

5. onebad98z

The turbo is the s474 1.32ar. As far as the silicone couple it has about and inch and a half, and honestly don't know for sure if it will last or not, this is my first turbo build as it probably shows lol.. If it won't work out I will come up with another idea I suppose

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

You will be much better off wrapping the downpipe and puting a blanket on the turbine housing. That thing is gonna heat soak the hell out of the charge pipe. Love the build though, really looks good.

7. turboventura

What's your merge? An exhaust tip or what? Im trying to figure mine out, 2.5in crossover.

8. onebad98z

merge is a stainless one off a gm factory truck if i remember correctly [​IMG]#ad

this photo may give you a better idea, the inlets were actually 2 3/4" inch we necked down and cut and formed the outlet for the t6 flange. im sure the heat may be an issue, the car is mainly just a race car with very slight street use. but i expect there to be some issues i will need to address in the future thats for sure. I can say i learned alot along the way, and would probably do things differently next time... I appreciate the compliments that for sure, and i claim to be no professional lol

9. Mnlx

It looks good.... its hard to find room for that turbo, and down pipe. have the hot side coated, wrapped, or both. I have mine just wrapped, and it makes a big difference.

10. denmah

i like it!

11. boooost383

GET RID OF THAT SILICONE 90* ELBOW!!!! buddy had one just over his wrapped DP and the after about 5 mins of running the silicone was so soft the engine sucked it shut!! fixed it with a vibrant 90* aluminum elbow.
    with that outa the way
    awesome build cant wait to see it done!! more pics of the full car would be appreciated

12. Mnlx

Is it even possible to suck it shut when its between the turbo, and the throttle body? ............ maybe small restrictive air filter?

13. boooost383

it is. what was happening is it was shutting before he got into boost and then it was choking the engine down so it wouldnt make boost. and he wasnt running an air filter

14. onebad98z

i never thought of the possibility of it sucking shut but i will defenitely look into a aluminum bend thats for sure, im not real hip on the big hunk of silicone there anyhow, but didnt where to get the aluminum ones, it will be on my list tof many things for the future, the car will not really see any use till spring since the snow is upon us here in michigan anyhow

15. Mnlx

compressor would have to be a restriction untill it spools........ ever measure vacuum between turbo, and TB? something i've never checked.

16. 408blown

Michigan boy huh? What city you from? :hmm:

17. boooost383

you can get 2 for $30 on ebay. not name brand but same shit. i had to buy them for my intercooler ends
    good luck with the project

18. onebad98z

im from the good ol ghetto of flint,mi i wonder if anyone makes the aluminum elbow in a transition of size to go from my ls throttle body to a 3" intercooler pipe

19. 408blown

Where you racing at? You go to Stanton or Milan?? Welcome by the way too!! Great looking build... I'm thinking about doing a 6.0 GM build in a 4 eyed monster next with a whoop ass Turbo... It will be my first turbo build, I'm joining the Dark Side!! :jdp:

20. jaredsamurai

That silicone piece is not a problem until it becomes a problem. Put a blanket on the turbine and wrap the DP. I bet that'll be enuff. You should do a blanket regardless of silicone or not. VS racing has em for like $100