1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S & W Cage Owners, Quick Question For You!!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 92coupe, Dec 1, 2007.

1. 92coupe

S & W Cage Owners, Quick Question For You!!

I purchased an S&W cage for my 93 mustang coupe a while ago and just finally got around to putting it in.

However, it looks like the bars that come off the main hoop and go back then under the glass are too short where they follow the roof line before the bend. I they measure about 15" of straight before they turn to head down under the glass, and would need to be about 20 inches to be nice.

My question is if they make a different cage for a coupe or a hatchback, as these would be the perfect length for a hatchback and I am thinking maybe I got the wrong kit, as they are too short to do it nicely in a coupe.

Anyone that has one of these, especially in coupe, your help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

2. MustangMitch

Re: S & W Cage Owners, Quick Question For You!!

What was the part number of the cage you received??

3. 86lxnotch

i have one of our cages in my coupe i will check the measurements as soon as i can walk a little better. had a slight dirtbike incident today

also if you shoot me your email i believe i have some pics of mine in the car as well

4. 92coupe

Hey there, thanks for the help guys, my email is
    This content is protected
    , and any pics would be great

The part number that was on the bars that i am talking about is "11-3066B"

Are they normally different?

5. 86lxnotch

i don't believe so, pics are sent btw. my apologies if the pics arent the greatest

6. MustangMitch

According to what I have that IS the part number for your cage. If we cant figure things out here be sure to give our tech line a call on monday and they will get you straightened out.

-Mitch

7. fast92lx

Yea, Im putting in that exact same cage this week, not sure what the e is for but it is part number 11-3066....Yea, thats same measurement as mine but I leaned my main hoop backward to give me more head room and worked out just fine. Only thing is when you lean it back you have to do a little fitting of the fishmouth cuts to work them back out. This is third S&W cage Ive put in and they all are a little short on that dimension. I think it is in a hope to put down bars through speaker holes.

8. 86lxnotch

here are the pics i sent.... i put this in a little over 2 years ago when i didnt know what i was doing lol. im 6' and i should have positioned the hoop leaned back farther so its actually kinda tight for me but the length wasnt a issue. ran the bars through the speaker holes

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. jeremy mifflin

i have done about 15 kits from S&W.....
    whats you email...i have some good pics i can send you...
    they use the same kit for all the cars......... coupe or hatch
    you have to take your time and cut them down to fit and they turn out good...
    i have a bender now and will just add a bend to the rear down bars and the door bars

10. 92coupe

Hey, any pics would be awesome, my email is
    , my car is a coupe

I have to say from what I have heard about these fitting well I am bit disappointed that they are like this. Although clearly for a hatchback it would be mint and I understand from a cost standpoint why they are the same but its way too short for how I want it to be.

11. 86lxnotch

so basically you are trying to get it to hug closer to the rear glass?

12. 92coupe

yah i would like to tuck them as much as possible, although it doesnt happen a lot I would ideally like for somehow to be able to sit in the backseat without smashing their head

13. 86lxnotch

if you lean the hoop back someone should be able to, mine is layed back and someone can sit{has before} reasonably well back there

14. fast92lx

Little hint, take the main hoop and set it in car, take the front set belt shoulder bolts and screw back in, now lean the main forward till the front side of the hoop touches the back side of the set belt upper bolts. That will lean the cage back at almost the perfect location to align the bends of the two bars going down in trunk with the edge of glass. This will require you to notch the speaker holes and shorten the down tubes but fits perfect. If I can remember I'll take pics tonight to show you. Also, dont freak out if the main hoop doesnt touch both bolts, for some reason ever cage I have gotten from them has the same twist in the main hoop. To check, just lay on shop floor, you will see one end of hoop off floor about 1/2". Just make sure car is straight and level.
    Bobby

15. jeremy mifflin

pics sent.....hope it will help ya some

16. MustangMitch

Talek dto a tech guy today. IDK if you called or not.

Make sure the main hoop is in the right location. ALOT of people move it too far forward.

17. 90redcoupe

Hey there,

Thanks for all your help, especially for those pics jeremy that was mint.

I had the main hoop all the way back up against the step, but it still seemed too short. Maybe I am just too picky for the cage. I am going to try and see tomorrow what else I can do.

18. MustangMitch

You could always call and have one customized.

19. 86lxnotch

did you bring the bottom of the hoop forward and lean it back against the step? that what you mean you did?

20. nova1

hey jeremy could you email those pics to me too?

thanks