1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

89 lx with an 83mm single blow thru setup

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 89withan83, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 89withan83

Hey guys my build up is almost done. Its so close to running I can taste it. sorry my pics are much further along. I got my kit through some old fashioned horse trading techniques. Its about 5 years old and was on on 86 svo built by a guy named mike House i think he used to get on here? I am on a budget and this has taken me awhile to put together. I think some of the parts will soon be overwhelmed by the possiblitys of this build.

Its a 89 dove grey lx hatch
    351w rebuilt by me
    stock crank and rods, arp rod, head, and main bolts
    forged dished pistons .030
    afr 185 cylinder heads
    xe284h cam 240/246 .541/.544 110lsa (hopping to get a engle grind soon)
    Performer RPM
    mallory locked dist 36 deg timing
    6AL BTM
    4 year old CSU demon 750 (now has BRPV built through the sticky posted up)

Turbo: Air Reaserch 83mm .95/.96 turbo built by Majestic turbo
    huger front mount inercooler, had to remove bumper and cut out some of the cover to get it to fit.
    flipped shortys, Applied technologies waste gate run back into the down pipe 3.5 and need to finish running back, spectra carb hat with 1" spacer

Fuel: summit 800hp pump(aka aeromotive sunami), aero motive regulator, -10 pickup to -8 feed and return.

suspension:QA1 kmember, stock control arms, svo calipers, stock struts, and stock cut springs.
    8.8 with south side upper and lowers,3:73 (will soon have 3:31 take-outs from an 07)
    bolt in rollbar, rear battle boxes.

Trans: c-4 with alto clutch kit, kevlar bands, rev Manuel valve body, TCI ssfr 3500 converter.
    and stock drive shaft, :doh: hope it lastes!

I am looking for around 700hp which I believe will be the limit for the bottem end. probably around 10-12 psi ounce I get a rear end worth a crap than it may see more. I can replace a motor but I dont like rotating compoents blowing up. I also have a line on a power glide but I want to keep this thing on the street as a mean steet car. I don't want a track queen. I am glad to be able to finally post up some of my own stuff after looking at so many bad ass projects on here after the years :bow:

2. 89withan83

pics

phpBgkVfTAM.jpg #ad

phpitm3o6AM.jpg #ad

phpKNUXS2AM.jpg #ad

phpNTW6nvAM.jpg #ad

3. Dave R

That looks pretty nice.

One question, what made you go with a 3.5" DP with that much motor and turbo? I would think 4" to be the smaller limit for it. You could be holding back potential HP in my opinion. I'm not a guru though so maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the car looks great and I hope it does what you want it to.

Dave

4. 89withan83

sorry :bang: typo its a 5" outlet necked down to 4 down pipe. THanks for the compliments

5. franktf

Looks good..... Good luck with it.....

6. rednotchtub

good luck cool build