1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

When do you switch from 31 spline to 33 or 35?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by River City Speed, Dec 31, 2009.

1. River City Speed

As you know I have been beating this forum to death asking question after question trying to extract more and more details from the fast guys and builders. That's because I've never had a car as fast as what I am building now.

My car will run 5.30's (1/8) or faster with an 88mm turbo on 275 drag radials. It needs to cut 1.2X 60ft's. I''ve already decided to keep the 3.55 gears and an 8.8 rear. It has an Auburn Pro and 31 spline axles in it already. They are still C-clip for now, so I am definately buying new axles and c-clip eliminators. At what point do the pros recommend a spool and 33 spline or larger axles? I estimate 1200-1300 rwhp. The trans is a TH400 w 'brake.

It would be nice to not have to set up the diff, but I will do whatever is best for a safe, fast car.

2. racesloth

I am no expert...but for what you are doing it is spool time and at least 35-spline axles. Although 40-spline gun drilled axles are 40% stronger and lighter than the 35's.

Also it would probably be better to have 9" housing ends welded on over c-clip eliminators. Good luck on reaching 5.30's it will be good inspiration for us guys that would be happy with a 5.99...

3. Enginerd

I'm running 5.60's at 125 (1.31-1.32 60') using 33 splines and a spool in my 8.8. Th400 ans 3.27 rear.

4. 86merc

Tire shake on a radial is hard on axles. Even though you may not be at the manufacturers axles torque rating a step up may be a nice piece of mind. I have never seen a 35 spline set up for the 8.8 but I hear the carrier is pretty thin on them. A 33 spline may be a better choice if the rating is ok for your application.

Check out Moser's website as they had a calculator to tell you what axle would work for your application. It uses the car's weight, power/torque, auto vs. stick, etc.

5. 10secgoal

Seen 5.40's on a 9in 31 spline :scared: But it was a big slick, and pretty damn short axles.

6. Anthony

i have moser 35's in my 8.8. with eliminators. for about the same price you should do 9" ends and 35's order them with 5/8's studs.

spool
    35's
    9" ends
    5/8's studs

just pick the axle manufacture you like the best.
    strange, mark williams, moser, etc etc

7. River City Speed

I just ordered a Moser 33 spline kit from one of our vendors. I'm going to start a new build thread in the next week or so. I'll keep everyone posted.

8. LowBoostinT76

I've seen a few guys on here breaking the mosers, I'd go with the strange axles, I run them on the street with a et street cheater slick or drag radial and never had a problem 33 spline and a strange spool.

9. slingblade

I know its not cheap but mark williams sells a 35 spline setup. Thier spool has the splines directly under the carrier bearings makeing them a good bit stronger and allowing the axels to be shorter= lighter they also use the big 9 bearing elemanating leaky c clip elims. The other 35 spline spools Ive used engage further in and the material under the bearing is pretty thin for axle clearance, Ive seen them brake there. whenever theres an option weld on 9inch ends. :welder:

10. wazslow

33 or 35's will work. I went the numbers in my sig on 33 spline strange axels. I wouldn't run moser parts on my lawnmower!

11. TeamZmotorsports

X2

12. superpwt

X3 I've seen mosers break in some potato chip cars around here. Im running strange 33 splines strange spool and richmond gears 8.8 clip eliminators. 5.60 1/8th 8.50 164 in the 1/4 been low 1.3's at over 3200lbs for 7 years now.

13. wldhrse

5.19 on 33's (Strange) no prob. DR's easier on axles. more worried about ring gear.

14. livefast1

I wish i hadnt bought mosers. I think ive read about more people breaking them than stock axles haha