1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Running fesh air inlet tubes to the turbos? - Updated w/ pics

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Proaction14, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Proaction14

Im trying to get fesh air to the turbos. Im running two 4" tubes to where the inner headlights used to be so I'll be getting fesh air. The tubes are going to be about 18", and are straight, no bends. The turbos are Tubonetics 62s. My big question is will this restrict any air going to the turbos? Right now Im sucking hot air from under the hood and Im trying to get some cooler inlet temps by sucking fresh air. Im also adding meth kit but I want to get as cool temps as I can right from the start to fully utilize the meth kit.

Well I finished up today, still have to clean everything up. I did end up having to make a slight bend but its still a pretty straight shot. Installed the meth kit, you can see one of the 3 nozzles right in front of the turbo. My next question if what do I do to keep crap from going in the turbos when making a pass? Im guessing a screen or something behind the bell mouths?

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. nosnovi

Re: Running fesh air inlet tubes to the turbos?

Doesn't sound like it will hurt you any. And the cool air will definately help.

3. AIS

Re: Running fesh air inlet tubes to the turbos?

4" tubing on those 62mm won't hurt them breath. What your doing is just fine.

4. TexasTwins

5. Proaction14

Added spme pics of the final product. Need to add a screen or something to keep chit out of the turbos now :huh:

6. Mike93SVT

that turned out great. brent made a sticky about how to make a screen for the turbos. it's in the diy forum

7. AIS

Looks great. Have you had a chance to run it yet with the meth? Post some more pictures of the engine.

Rodney

8. ttype

With the licence plate on the front I would assume this is a street car. Looks killer, great job, but why no screening? That could cost a lot of cheddar if something got ingested into the turbo. I am speaking from experience, and it was a costly mistake on my part.

9. MustangMike

Is it best practice to inject the meth into the turbo inlet? I'm no pro but always thought after the intercooler somewhere was better. Could liquid hitting one side of the impeller unbalance it?
    Just asking.

10. AIS

We found injecting before the turbo and before the throttle body performed the best.

Rodney

11. AIS

12. Proaction14

Ran 138 mph this weekend testing with the same boost (7-8lbs), picked up almost 5 mph and .2 tenths with the fresh air and new meth kit AFTER removing the IC :2thumbs:
    Going to turn the boost up to 18-20 in the next week or 2, pull some timing out see what happens. I'll get some pics of the engine tonight if I can. Nothing special.

13. Proaction14

Man, I had litterally just finished welding everything when I took those pics lol. It has screens on it now. I do some street driving, but not a whole lot. Mostly to the drag strip which is a few miles away and or car shows that are close.

14. Sponge

The impeller is spinning so fast so will it hurt it? I heard of impeller errosion, what your opinion on that?

Thanks

15. MONTEGOD7SS

Proaction, do you have a build thread? I have a black '87 SS that will someday get a big single or twins and would love to see your build if you have one.