1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Runner focus

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Remote Booster, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Remote Booster

Q In a single plane manifold 'fuel injected not carb', will i see any benefit to making an 8 chambered divider in the throat of the manifold , that helps direct the forced air in to the runners to the cylinders. hence smoothing out the turbulent air and improving the flow, or will this make a restriction and hold back the engine potential ?

This would take sum time to fab up. so is it really worth the time to find out it makes less/more power?

:2thumbs:

Kris

2. Drac0nic

I would be entertained by seeing the results however a few questions come to mind A)will it artificially lengthen the runners? B)will it cause them to create artificial lean spots for certain runners? C)could something like this actually increase turbulence to each cylinder? D)Will boost make this a more interesting exercise? Personally I would make it so that you could have a way to adust the diverters for optimal mixture after checking with EUGOs or EGT gauges.

3. Remote Booster

You made a few good points there :2thumbs:, the car can do with longer runners. i was thinking that the unit will need to be precise, and then tiged in as well. i have entertained this idea for sum time now, and tossed this around in my head. but i have little to no experience with flow and filling of cylinders. the biggest thing that popped out at me is that it must go above the base of the flange a few inches, with an Eiffel tower type shape, too brake to brake of the incoming air smoothly and efficiently. any one have sum more pros and cons.

4. Remote Booster

I was reading what i could find online from a book called, ''How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems By Jeff Hartman'' i want to get this book and read into what he has to say about, intake manifold flow characteristics. it looks like a good read check this out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ca...3ABg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#

Id like to hear what you have to say on this Tom. as well as any one els on this matter.

5. PrecisionTurboMustang

Sounds like an interesting idea. My first though is that if it were going to make a signifigant difference you would see them being made allready. Looking forward to seeing more discusiion on the idea :twothumbs:

6. 10secgoal

Biggest problem I could see with it is the plenum would disappear. Other than that sounds like something interesting to try

7. Boost Engineer

Mike Moran, at one time I believe, tried to make a intake manifold for boost that had long individual runners going into a common collector. Never did see the final results but see he is no longer going down that path.

Anytime you have flow in a pipe, unless there is a long length, there will be an air bias toward some parts of the pipe. It is very hard to get the same flow when you go from a single pipe into a "Y" pipe having two runners for that reason.

Your 8 chamber divided plenum would act like a honeycomb flow straightener but not necessarily have the same air flow distribution to all 8 chambers. If the plenum was like most 4 barrel intakes (with the intake opening facing upward), maybe a pipe several diameters in length might get close on the distribution to each runner. Unless you had a 34 ford you probably could not package the pipe vertically. As soon as you put an elbow in the system, the flow has a bias again.

It is possible to measure the flow going into every cylinder, with accurate measurement devices and then play with the air distribution until you have the same flow on each cylinder at low flows, same flow on each cylinder at medium flows, and the same flow on each cylinder at high flows. Then you have a good intake manifold.

Tom Vaught