1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Best location to mount 101 Thumper ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by junkyardbunyak, Aug 15, 2004.

1. junkyardbunyak

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you guys have any advise on where the best location is to mount a 101, and if there is any way that you can run the 5" down pipe to the back to run exhaust on the car or if you have to dump it out the front like most guys are doing. any sujestions would be greatlly appreciated as for no one around these parts has ever seen a 101 let alone run one.

Thanks Derek

2. NeedaTurbo

You can run a small raditor, as in small surface wise (like a ranger radiator) but thicker so you're not losing any cooling power. That way, you'll have some more space for the turbo. Which side are you wanting to mount it? what accessories do you have?

I'm guess this isn't a street car, right? :D

3. junkyardbunyak

just a alternator for accesories, I do plan on some street driving I also have a smaller rad that fits in between the rad support apperantlly it is a turbo rad that I got from a buddy. I'm thinking mounting it on the passenger side with the exhaust housing facing the rear of the car I just don't know if there will be enough room to run the 5" down pipe to the back of the car to run a muffler, has anyone mounted one of these like this?

4. NeedaTurbo

Ummm, if you're going to drive it on the street, you'd probably mess up a 5" downpipe really fast if you have it going under the car. You can probably fit a muffler somewhere under/near the engine bay, I've seen a few of them like that on here :D

5. L8ON

Here you go JYB ;)

7.89 @ 180 on DOT's

6. papis408w

:shocked:
    Thats off the hook!!

7. 66 AC COBRA

:bling: :bling:
    thats all that comes to mind

8. ShaneH

5" exhaust will be hard to fit. To start with, there's only a few 5" mufflers made and they're huge. You can fit the 5" pipe through the front suspension area, but the bottleneck will be the turn under the firewall. My old setup that I got from Murillo had a short section of 5" downpipe that split into two 3.5" pipes and had two 3.5" race magnums mounted under the car.

9. Toma

Haaahahahah, Derek, your screwed ;)

Is the car at your place, or are you taking it to Rick's to do the header to turbo piping?

I think shane is right.... 5" even down the drivers side is gonna be tough. You got the motor and kooks headers in the car? Would a half radiator (width wise) fit, so that the turbo was closer to the nose of the car on the passenger side with the inlet facing foreward, and the exhaust facing back?

10. 89coupe

I like this setup.

11. chris89lx

Dal's car (green car in pictures) had the exhaust coming out under the drivers door. You can see it in the pics with the wheels up. I'm sure it was at least five inch exhaust but it was flattened into an oval shape for more ground clearance. Not sure if he ran a muffler but you could always have one custom made the same shape.

Dal also ran a radiator that tucked under the front rad support as you can see in the pictures compared to Jim's red car.

I'm sure Dal must have some pictures of his car when it was set up that way. Why not try e-mailing him to see.

12. ProEFI

Derek, rather than modify the rad, Dal just modified the lower radiator support and lowered it enough to fit the radiator and move it forward enought to clear the turbo.

Andy

13. cobra347

14. Qwk

Whoa!!:jawdrop:

Anymore pictures on any of those Stangs?

15. tokes

The red one is JB's car, right? God, that's sick.

16. cobra347

Yea JB's he is putting on a big street car shoot out this weekend at BUD PARK Edmonton. should be good if the weather lets it happen.

17. 89coupe

They can't see the pics of Dereks car, you have to be a member to see attached pics. Maybe Toma will post them here as well.

18. DASHIP

I agree with Shane. There is no way to run a 5" round pipe under the car without converting to a 4x4 stance. I run dual 3.5" pipes and I think that is the biggest you can go without any real clearance issues. Even then, you have to tuck them in tight. If the exhaust is rigged, then it will drag. Now, I always wanted to try some of the trick oval tubing. You might be able to get a single exhaust under the car with the flow of a 5" round pipe in oval tubing. However, I don't know anyone that has 5" oval tubing. Burns stainless has 3", 3.5" and 4" oval tubing, but their oval bends are only in one axis/plane. They don't offer bends in both axis/planes. Check here: http://www.burnsstainless.com/OvalTubing/ovaltubing.html If you really want to get all that flow out to the back of the car, I think Shane is right... split the exhaust into dual 3.5" runs. Also, as Shane mentioned, the tighest part of getting the exhaust to the back is at the firewall/bellhousing area. The tubing has to fit between the bell housing, K-member and the body, and my 3.5" pipes barely fit. I don't know how you could get anything bigger in there unless you moved the motor forward, or something. I don't know if that would work or not, but check that area and make some measurements. I think you will find it is a problem area. There are some small 5" race mufflers out there, though. Some of them can hardly be called mufflers, but I guess they satisfy the rule books. Here are some from Burns ($212): http://www.burnsstainless.com/UltraliteMuffler/ultralitemuffler.html and Flowmaster ($211) : http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/965040-12.html although neither of them is small. I have seen some super small Flowmaster mufflers on some high-end race cars. I think they custom made them to order. You may be able to get them to make some for you. Burns would custom make some for you, I'm sure.

19. 89coupe

Register on my boards and you will see that this paticular mustang seems to have routed a 5" exhaust under the car all the way to the mufflers.

20. DASHIP

Can you post a link? I went to performance-shop.com and your website, but didn't see any pictures showing 5" exhaust actually under the car all the way to the mufflers.