1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo for stock cammed motor

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PEARL MUSSIN, Sep 11, 2004.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

A friend of mine is looking to go turbo. He has a 306 ported stock heads, ported stock intake, F-303. He might go with twin T-3's but kinda wants a single. What would be a good sized "cheap" turbo? He's not looking to set the world on fire or anything maybe looking to get his car in the mid to low 11's.... I was thinking a 60-1 or a t-64e or something along those lines. What do you guys think?

Jeremy

2. NeedaTurbo

3. PEARL MUSSIN

If the kit was built around a 60-1 or a T-66 could a T-76 be replaced without modification? Meaning are they all phisically the same size (4-bolt on center Ex housings)?? THANKS

Jeremy

4. NeedaTurbo

whatever happened to the "just 11s" thing :tard:

5. PEARL MUSSIN

C'mon you know how boost is, Like an Ice Cold NATTY on a warm summers day! ....... I'm just thinking ahead...

Jeremy

6. Camwfo

I know from experience that a 60-1 hifi is good for low 11's and possibly high 10's on a stock motor. I think the kit would be versatile if you built it that way. You can get a turbo with either on center or tangigal housings.

I myself am getting ready to start another little stock motor turbo prject with a stock motor. Im going to try to find a 60-1 hifi or a 64. but I will build the kit so I can go bigger down the road. My main project is on hold until I build my house. Then its 98mm time. This will keep me occupied in the mean time.

7. OUTPLAYN

Any other input on this?

8. BlackMagic94

T70 p trim

9. 92FivePointSlow

I have a T-66 on my otherwise stock mustang. I've got a .81 a/r exhaust housing and see full .6 bar (9lbs) by 3k rpm's. It also has a 4" inlet, which would require no modification to my kit if I chose to upgrade to a larger turbo. I believe the t64e has only a 3" inlet. the 66 is also rate to ~750/800 hp. If you can't get into 11's on that, you need to find a different hobby.

I also picked mine up for $750, with about 2k miles on it. Looked brand new when I got it. A week after I purchased it I found another one with only 500 miles on it for $700.

10. 89coupe

I'm running a T67 at 10.5lbs I've ran 12.6@121mph, with a set of slicks I would be in the low 11's no problem.

11. turbostang

depending on how the kit was made you could go all the way to a 76GTSH providing it had compressor housing clearance and the turbine exit flange was the same (vband to vband or 4 bolt to 4 bolt) The inlet to the compressor will most likely be 3,3.5, or 4".
    My personal recommendation would be a 63-1 with a .81 a/r hot side.. 302_Plus_A_few uses one on his car and has gone 6.4's in the 1/8 with heads and cam..

12. OUTPLAYN

What has your car gone now? and what is basically stock?

If ya dont mind answering?

13. 2bfeard

wouldnt go any bigger than a t-72

14. dman

i ran a T72 Ball bearing turbo with .96 exhaust housing on my stock cam motor. I would have liked to try an .81 housing though.... still, it hauled ass and the most boost i got up to was 15psi then one of the stock rods broke. easily a low 10second car with 9second MPH