1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

rpm limit on a 351w

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mustangboy94, Sep 15, 2004.

1. mustangboy94

ok im looking at putting a lighting crank and rods with arp rod bolts in a 71 block,what is the rpm limit on this stuff and hp.would like to see 600rwhp and shift 6000-6500 just dont want to built some thing that not going to last.

2. Disney Lincoln

6500 should be fine.

3. Dan H

I'm shifting at 7000 rpm with a stock crank in an 89 block but I have eagle forged h-beam rods.

4. stang6990

everyone on here says the 351w block will hold 750HP safely...

5. PEARL MUSSIN

You finally get a motor Todd? Spin it to the moon you know you will ;)

Jeremy

6. 89lx

it should take 7k no problem. just make sure you have plenty of clearance on the mains(.003-.0035") those 3" journals require lots of oil. on some of the circle track motors we build we use restrictors that limit the oil to the cam bearings, thus keeping more oil at the mains and rods. I forget who makes the kit might be ford racing or moroso.
    Andrew

7. ChrisA351

I shift my car at 7000 all the time. Has been over 100 runs so far...all in the mid 11's, everything seems ok for now...

8. mustangboy94

yah think i did not he just need to stop tring to jack the price up like someone else it tring to buy it, but i also may be getting a A4 I'll just keep my fingers crossed, if not back to the search to find another crank rods pistons.and yes ill ill try to keep it little on the HP and rpm but you know me i got to push it to the edge!

9. bdass86coupe

I may be wrong here but from what I know this is the for the 75 and later castings of the 351w but the 69-74 wich has a muck stonger bottom end webbing will handle 850-900rwhp on a turbo app. But only 750 or so rwhp on a blower app as for the 75 and on blocks the cut off is around 650 yes

10. 87turbonotch

"the 75 and on blocks the cut off is around 650 "
    is this becasue you've seen one actually break or just becasue of the visual diffrences in the main webbing? not breakin' balls here just curious becasue I've got a 96 351 roller shortblock out of a F250 and am hoping to use it one of these days. I really don't have a HP number that I'll be shooting for but I have a rather large turbo that I'll be using with it.

-Brian

11. jph331

I ran a 94 351w roller block for several years. This was a blower car making 620hp to the rear wheels. Block lasted fine execept for leaning out number 7 cylinder. Resleeved # 7 and off to the track again.

12. Dan H

I don't know what the late model blocks are good for either but I'm probably pushing the 650 rwhp number right now with 18 psi. I'm going to the dyno Sat so I'll know for sure then. I've been thinking about throwing on a 75-150 hp plate nitrous system for next year to see how fast I can go assuming I get my traction issues sorted out this winter.