1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Flipping 4v Stock Manifolds anyone??

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by MustangMitch, Aug 9, 2007.

1. MustangMitch

Has anyone had any success on a 4v flipping their stock manifolds? I hear that this is what the hellion kits are based off of but i have yet to see a DIY kit have it done.

2. whplsh50

in short, no

hellion doesn't flip them, they stay in stock form.

3. gryphon68

Bridge Racing has gone 7's in their 4V Drag Radial car with flipped SS shorties.

4. MustangMitch

I just bolted them up to the motor flipped and hey seem to fit. My motor is on a stand so now the question i guess is if they fit i the engine bay.

5. charged9250

I plan to do this as well. I will be cutting off the stock flanges and welding on some v-bands.

6. MustangMitch

Ill have some pics up of how they fit in a few. The drivers side sticks out pretty far. Tme to get out the measuring tape.

7. typhoon43

I flipped Ford Racing shorties for my 4V navi turbo build. It seems to work out well.

8. MustangMitch

Heres where i am worried a little. It seems to be out a little far but tomorrow il find out for sure :2thumbs:

[​IMG]#ad

9. DIL

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64122.0
    I'm just about ready to build the longblock and put it in the hole...Built a new shop and been playing with my 04 Mach so not much has been done.
    I have a set of 5.4 DOHC Boss 290 headers I might try to flip on the Mach if I keep it.

10. Flycaz

Aviator Manifolds are a little friendlier to flip... that is if you intend on cutting off the flange and welding on a V-band. The are "straighter" before they jut out to where the flange is... if that makes sense. I'll pop a pic tonight when I get home.

11. jmstekguy

just a piece of info, i used a set of frpp shorty s/s headers for my 5.4dohc turbo set up and i had to change the collector for my application, and i found the things are the worst built peices of crap!, some of the primaries block off the others almost half, when i had mine apart i ported the inlets(welds covered the ports), and blended in the primaries, by far the worst headers i had ever seen, also had steering shaft clearance issues (but mines in a fox)

12. bags50lx

I used 03 cobra d/s on the p/s of my 5.4 and the navi p/s on the d.s. That fit the best for me so far. I looked at a set of frpp headers and they were junk also.
    Mitch on my 94 the navi header wouldnt fit it hit the frame rail.

13. MustangMitch

Thanks for the info. I still havent gotten a chance to sit the motor in with the headers flipped to see what happens. Im waiting for my tubular K member to get here.

14. mustangpwr98

Its not true none did. Find "DIL" as a member, he did it .

I did it on a two valve, but i did it flipped pointing downward. The only thing is when you flip them downward, you need a coolant and oil plate. Moroso and detriot speedworks(buy from livernois) make them. Also you have to pull your ac. You cant run the delete pulley, so i guess with a shorter belt and make that work. Only problem is you will have rib on a smooth tentioner if you dont replace that pulley.
    With 10lbs i made 335/360 on a NPI 2v and ran 12.33 at 110.

15. Flycaz

On the 4V if you switch over to a 93' Mark VIII timing cover, which runs the oil pump in the lower position on the block, and you move the A/C output lines a little, use a coolant-oil plate like mustangpwr98 said, you can run the exhaust straight forward. I have a 2V oil plate on there for the moment but the circles show where the manifolds will run...

16. DIL

:2thumbs:

turbomach2.jpg #ad

17. 19COBRA93

+1. I spend several hours modifying those junk FRPP headers. I ended up grinding the majority of the welds off the inside of the tubes, and rewelding them from the outside. I really think they're equal to the cast manifolds I pulled off. I gained absolutely nothing in the quarter mile too.

18. MustangMitch

Holy Shit DIL thats exactly how I want mine to be ..

THANKS

19. jmstekguy

i HAD A FEELING THey were bad when i dynoed a 99 cobra at the shop after the install. it lost 11bhp over manifolds but made 5lbft across the board, they should be ok now, but they should not be on the market, they are absolute junk, i contacted frpp's tech department and told them, they said not everythings perfect, i told them they should stick to r blocks, at least they got thAt right...

20. mustangpwr98

Theres dil. I loosely based my design on him.
    The one thing is i found it hard to do this and keep the stock fan. I have a 2100 cfm, 16" fan from Proform and it worked good.

If i had to buy a oil plate again it would be a mororso.

The way i flipped the headers forward, i had to grind on the header to get the nipple for the coolant to fir. Then because they were so close, it dried up my hose, So i hard plumbed it with galvanized pipe around the turbing and put a hose nipple i found in jegs thats made to adapt to 1.5" hose for a electric waterpump.

If i had to do it again, i would have welded a mesh expanison joint into it, because when its one solid peace ita hard to get on the headers, and if i did this i would brace the turbo.

Heat wrap and heat shield is a must.

I used the ends off and old h pipe (BBK) to start and then 2.5 in piping after that. 3" downpipe
    Order one 2.5 and one 3 " bend kit from race solutions, at least that was more than enough for me.