1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ROLL CAGE TUBING

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by fast38ca, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fast38ca

Hey everyone, I hope this isn`t a stupid question but here it is...
    I getting ready to start a new build with a 67 Camaro. I was going to put an 8.50 cage in it but may build it to 25.5 instead. My question is about the material used for the cage. Is DOM that much better than ERW, tensile strength etc? I tried searching but didn`t find much. I understand DOM is basically ERW but built with a different process and I know a lot of cars are built without DOM but most people say DOM is way better. I also know the price difference is a lot!
    What does everyone use?

2. BreakDancer

ERW= Good
    DOM= Better
    Chromoly= Best

Dom is ERW that has been Drawn Over Mandrel to remove the welded seam eliminatng the stress riser. Any cage build correctly out of any of these materials will work, its more a question of what is legal for whatever class you plan on running. It is also a weight trade off most who run ERW will use a larger diameter with .134 wall as you go down in weight you go up in price. Get the latest and greatest rulebook for whatever you want to do and read, read, read could save you hundreds down the road if you are not sure about wording stop and contact someone who can clarify.

3. 99TTGT

4. fast38ca

Thanks for the replies. So do most people spend the extra for DOM? or do they just use ERW or whatever. I realize as long as it meets the thickness requirements I can use either and still be legal. Is DOM that much better for the big price difference??

5. BlownShovel

Depending on what ET you are shooting for will in most cases dictate what you need to use as far as material. I always thought DOM was acceptable until heading into the 7.49-8.5 realm. I didn't remember std ERW pipe being OK but maybe that's a mistake. I built mine DOM based on specs required by NHRA circa '96 pulling out the old, out of spec ERW bar.

What is your performance goal with the car?

6. fast38ca

Im hoping to run low low 9s to start and eventually high 8s, you know how it goes, lol. That's why I was thinking of building it to 25.5 spec now. I think what I'll do is get the specs for 25.5 and decide once I've read them. I'm probably going to go Dom either way...I was just trying to save some cash if Dom wasn't that much better.

7. BlownShovel

That will give you plenty of room to grow while keeping you safe. CM is lighter but i went DOM because weight didn't concern me and cost. Plus I only had a MIG at that point.