1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is manual steering beneficial of a 5000# vehicle?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by popsthe, Jan 23, 2021.

1. popsthe

So my steering gear is shot, and i was considering going to a manual gearing. Is there any advantage to a manual steering box other than freeing up a couple hp? At high speeds isn't it better to have a wider ratio or whatever? On a manually steered care i would assume you would make more turns of the wheel to turn the tires less compared to a power steering unit. I also have the option for a gear box that needs less steering wheel revolutions to turn the tires. I thought that might be bad if trying to veer or adjust at high speed... Just wondering; figured some here likely had experience in hauling ass.

2. B E N

The quicker ratio and manual steering at parking lot speeds is going to blow, especially in a car that heavy.

High speed stability is more a factor of caster than it is steering ratio. Quick ratio boxes are great for auto cross and tight road course cars.

popsthe likes this.
  3. Disney Lincoln

Other than the 10-15hp and freeing up some room underhood, I can't think of anything that would beneficial about manual steering, especially on a 5,000lb vehicle.

4. alain

My W200 4x4 Powerwagon has a manual steering box and 36 inch tires. At a standstill it is impossible to turn the wheels. You need to at least have a slow roll, and even then it's quite difficult. While driving, however, I prefer the manual steering as the truck seems easier to drive and isn't as edgy when you touch the wheel.

I changed my Dart over to manual steering for the room under the hood, and it steers pretty easy, although it just weighs 3200 lbs and has narrow tires (195) on the front. My Dart is far more comfortable to drive at speed too. With the power steering it would veer to the curb by just looking at the steering wheel.

5. B E N

Power steering shouldn't cause the vehicle to be jerky, if it does the box worn out.

6. sam51

at 5k lbs thats a lot to steer at low speed, think parking lot, while driving it won't matter to much unless you have a tiny diameter steering wheel. my 51 has manual steering, at 3200 lbs it isn't to difficult to steer plus I have a 50s large diameter steering wheel and 215 front tires, so that helps.