1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ring gaps--whats the real deal?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 400dart, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 400dart

ok, after much searches here and elsewhere, im still more confused than ever on what to use for my ring gaps. some say really big (up to .034") for my bore size (4.342") on top and bottom rings and then i have seen the new deal of a wider second ring. and then again, i have seen as small as .024" on the top ring and .016" on the bottom. can anyone really give me a straight answer? i was going to cut them .030 on top and .020 on the bottom but now i dont know. maybe .028 top and .032 buttom?.................please help.

2. TwinTurboStrokr

What brand rings?

I usually set moly rings up a little loose when planning to run boost pressures beyond 15psi.

(.065 * Bore Diameter) Top ring .028"
    (.055 * Bore Diameter) Second ring .023"

But these figures are dependant on the relationship of the top ring land to the piston's surface, the closer/tighter the top ring is to the piston's surface the larger the gap.

My set of TS1s are set up @ .024" .018", but the top ring land of my CP piston's are .25" from the top of the piston's surface.

3. 400dart

they are mopar rings so i really dont know what brand as i know they are just relabeled.

your formula comes out .028 and .024 so its not far off from what i was thinking.

4. Saleen91

FWIW, I too had a ton of varying advice so I kind of mixed them all together an came up with .06 * bore and I set my top and bottom ring to the same gap.