1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

return fuel system setups with external pump. what do i need to know?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by B0B, Jul 10, 2011.

1. B0B

01 new edge 4v turbo... i ditched the idea of doing an in-tank setup. i ordered an aeromotive eliminator pump, fuel tank sump, and aeromotive regulator for my 03 cobra tank. i'll use -12an feed from tank to pump, -10an from pump to front of car, -8an return. would it be best to route the return line back to the sump? or could i use an 03 cobra hat outlet for the return line?

does anyone have any links to a thread with their fuel system setups? i'm keeping the cobra tank, which i'll weld the sump to. But i've never built a return fuel system so any tips and ideas/concerns would be awesome. everything i've learned about it so far have been from this forum.

what about pump placement and mounting location? wiring? pump speed controller? fuel tank venting?? setting up fuel lines to rails and regulator? all is new to me, i'm gathering as much information as i have available but some things are still questionable to me. thanks guys!

2. lrostosky

Hey,
    I was just about to ask about running a very similar setup with an external eliminator. Do people think there would be any issues running a -10an feed from the tank to the pump and an -8an return or is that too small? Looking for maximum of 700+ hp. Thanks.
    -Lee

3. chiaj144

I run an a1000, -12 to pump, -10 feed, -8 return with a -6 to each bowl(carb). I don't have any problems with fuel pressure but if you do it you might as well do a -10 return. Some guys said they had cavitation issues running the return into the sump. I run mine back into the top of the tank. I don't run a controller, stock vent (mustang) and I have a 30 amp relay for the pump. Hope this helps.

4. dark star

It would be nest to run it to the sump, cause if ran through the hat it may add air into the fuel.

There is a ton of fuel system write ups just search.

Make sure the pump is at or lower than the sump of the tank and as close as possible. Use at least 10 gauge wiring to pump. You can use a controller if you are going to drive the car a lot. I dont use one and have never had a problem even when driving the car for over 2 hours+. Make sure the tank is adequately vented. The best way for rails is to y the -10 feed line and run -8 to the front of each rail. then the back of the rails needs to go to the regulator. Here is a pic of my setup.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. dark star

Aeromotive recommends running a -12 from sump to feed of pump. Although I have been running a -10 feed for years and never had a problem so its up to you.

6. chiaj144

Running it through the hat will not add air to the fuel.