1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Replace rod bolts with ARP on 38k mi stock shortblock?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ncsuslow5.0, Feb 7, 2004.

1. ncsuslow5.0

I picked up a stock '88 shortblock with 38k orig mi. It seems to be in good shape. They guy (older guy)had a powerdyne on it, but everything looks fine. He pulled it to replace it with an R block when he bought his procharger.
    I'm going to pull the pan off to weld the oil return fittings on it and was wondering if it would be smart to go ahead and replace the rod bolts with ARP ones. Or, should i just retorque the stockers?
    Thanks!
    Ben

2. Turbo50Mike

Rod bolts are a VERY good idea on the stock shortblock. However, to do it right, you need to resize the rods after they are installed.

I did it once without resizing. I just pushed the strockers out, and pressed the new ARP ones in. That motor was fine, but everyone I tell that too cringes when I tell them I didn't resize the rods. Whatever....

MJB

3. ncsuslow5.0

hmm, that sounds more involved than what I was hoping. This is my first motor build up and I'm trying not to get in over my head. I'll guess I'll just retorque and roll the dice. :)

4. Turbo50Mike

If you're going to do that, make sure you take them all the way off, and lube the rod bolt threads with either straight 30w oil, or (preferred) moly lube. Do NOT torque dry.

Just BE SURE that you use the correct torque value for either the moly or the 30w because they ARE different. And rod bolt torque is something you do not want to guess or get wrong. The rod bolts are the most critical fastener in the entire rotating assembly.

MJB

5. turbocuda

John(turbotbird), down in benson gets it done with his stock shortblock....

If you're from raleigh we need to get together. Ever go up to Fayettevile dragstrip. We have a blast up there...

My cuda should be back on the road very soon...Steppin up on the turbs..now a pair of t-61's..axin the intercooler...low 10's here I come(on street tires)

IM me if you have any questions

6. Snipe656

Yeah and if you do it "right" I think the total cost comes too close to what just some Eagle rods with ARP bolts already in them would cost you.

7. ncsuslow5.0

well damn, i guess i'll just leave them as is and hope for the best...
    turbocuda- I'll be gone this weekend, but yea we should get together! I was at Fayetteville 2 weekends ago. Noticed a brown turbo camaro there haulin ass. Didn't get a chance to talk to the guy though...

8. dman

dude, if your using stock rods then use stock rod bolts...! i reused my stock rod bolts in my motor which made well over 500rwhp. And when the stock rod snapped in half and beat the crap out of everything in it's way the STOCK rod bolts were still holding the cap securely in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. turbocuda

That camaro is the notorious "DOO-DOO-BROWN"
    That's Ira's car. We usually go to the track together and build up all our own strange setups. Did you check out the blue twin turbo mustang(it hauls ass). He could also give you some turbo pointers.

10. ncsuslow5.0

lol at doo doo brown.
    I have had a bunch of people tell me I need to talk to Ira about my project. I was looking for him in the white Toyota, I guess he has a new toy now... I saw a blue/multicolored notch running pretty good, didn't get a chance to talk to him either.

11. rotoryota

What's up doc? The Toyota will be down until I can get all the bugs worked out of Doo-Doo. Send me a PM if you got any questions. Nice to know that it's another boosted v8 in the area. I'll probalbly run this weekend at Roxboro or Fayetteville.