1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

REPLACE A 8.8 WITH A 9 INCH QUESTION...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by ng8264723, May 14, 2021.

1. ng8264723

I am building a fox body. It has a twin turbo 351 and a toploader. It is min tubbed and will be running 325 50 15's on 12 inch rims. We need to shorten instead of doing that I am going to buy a nine inch rear. I was wondering if i should invest in 35 spline axles? The engine is 600-650HP. I was looking at some 9 inch pre assembled centers. Any advice? I found some cool ones on Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174605368908
    Thoughts?
    thanks
    Chris

2. B E N

Checkout speedway for your 9" stuff. I think they are a little cheaper than that ebay ad, and have a good reputation and customer service. Also check out racingjunk.com and watch your local classified/facebook/craigslist. "Free shipping" on those chunks is expensive.

If your building it from scratch I can't see a good reason not to go with 35 spline... you will turn it up and put more tire under it at some point, may as well future-proof a little bit.

3. Disney Lincoln

A guy local to me has got some awesome deals on NASCAR pull out. Like under 500 for a complete center with locker. Watch ebay for those.

B E N likes this.
  4. Mike21

I know when I order rears from moser I do not get upcharged for 35 spline, only 40. That being said I would get the 35

5. sam51

on my old drag car I used a detroit locker pull out from a NASCAR like Disney stated, I used my own gears and reused my 35 spline axles, car had a spool and I swapped to locker to use it on the street. the price was about 500 and I setup the rear myself to save some cash.

6. Pro-SC

On the shipping deal I really lucked out recently. On a lot of eBay items, they will post a shipping rate for international shipments (Canada) using the eBay global shipping program. Sometimes there is a mistake and the shipping price is posted at a much lower rate than it should be but the customer pays that rate which is posted. I had been looking for a 4.09 geared Center section for the Dana 44 ifs on my f150. I saw a couple earlier this year with shipping to Alberta being in the $350 to $400 range which makes it unreasonable to purchase. About 6 weeks ago I saw a new listing which had the eBay global shipping price listed at $40.00 to me! The guy had a best offer on his add so I offered him $50.00 less than his buy it now price and he accepted! I never heard back but eBay usually charges that back to the seller, so he got screwed. Hope the seller is not a member here!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  7. Disney Lincoln

My experience as a seller using the Ebay global shipping has been great. Very low cost for me compared to what it would really cost.

8. Pro-SC

That’s good Disney, I was told by another seller that the shipping price is sometimes listed by eBay as to low and that the seller gets back charged. Not certain that this is correct but that’s what I was told.
    As a buyer the eBay global shipping is great!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  9. Disney Lincoln

On the crap I sold I just assumed the buyer was picking up the majority of the tab. All I really know is I paid like $12 to ship about 25lb of crap to Africa.

B E N and Pro-SC like this.
  10. Disney Lincoln

Right on time! I just sold a Haltech ECU on ebay to a guy in India. Only costs me shipping to Maryland ($14). Ebay takes it from there.

11. rel3rd

Do you happen to have a User Name, or link, or anything, for this guy?
    I have a Strange Aluminum center section in my car, with a spool and 3.70 gears, but would like to try a 3.25 or a 3.50 gear to drop the trap RPM a little. I'd rather find a whole take-out unit as opposed to re-doing mine, and possibly not liking it, or whatever, and having to swap it all back in, lol.

12. Disney Lincoln

Afraid not. I have looked at ebay used lockers before, but never needed to find a complete unit myself.