1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Remote turbo's, Weldon oil return pump, do I need to put a vent somewhere before

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mtrain, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mtrain

the pump?

2. mustang-junky

I have a vent near the turbo, it is "T"eed off of the turbo drain. I don't use a Weldon pump, but I can feel the suction if I cover the hoke in my vent when the pump is on. My drain is 1/2" npt, vent is 1/8" npt with one way valve on to.

Jess

DSC00140.JPG #ad

3. luckythirteen13

i dont have a vent on mine. i just run the oil line from the turbo to the pump. ive thought of adding one but most of the rear mount guys dont run a vent from what ive seen

4. mtrain

Interesting. I wonder what the scientific results would be with the vent and without on parts wear, oil flow etc.

5. Hahns5.2

No vent for me either.

6. luckythirteen13

what happens if your pump fails with the turbo inside the car? wont the oil spray out the vent all over the inside of your car?

7. mustang-junky

One way valve. Sucks in air only.

Jess

8. mtrain

I really cant see any reason not to do it. If you use a one way valve it won't spray the hot oil everywhere so it looks like it would be a benefit.

If its not vented looks like it would make the electric oil pump work harder.

9. mtrain

Also, something I just thought of, seems like if you coiled {tightly, as maybe around an 1.5" PVC pipe } a few feet of aluminum line to the turbo's it might have poor mans oil cooler.

Of course you would need one of those heat reading guns to tell if it really worked or not.

10. Hotrod406

Your turbo is inside the car?

11. mustang-junky

12. luckythirteen13

any in car vids?

13. mustang-junky

Nope. I can tell you that it is loud, warm, and it really boosts good. Kinda nice that I can just reach over and feel how warm the charge pipe is. I have a metal lined plywood box to cover the turbo with. I have held off on installing it until I can get some carpet to cover everything with.

Jess