1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Remote turbo with glasspacks before the turbo, good, bad?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by KenC, Oct 23, 2021.

1. KenC

My latest project is a 4.6L 3V engine swap in a 96 TBird. Runs well as is but I'm thinking on installing a STS remote turbo making this a sister car to my 96TBird Vortech 2V. Both are street/strip cars. My question is, the car already has two Magnflow glasspacks at the head pipes now. I would like to keep them in place and add the pipes needed for the rear turbo mount and have a simple short tail pipe from the turbo. Should the mufflers be removed? I have a feeling, they really won't hurt. Thoughts from you guys, thanks.....Ken.

2. CW25

I would remove them as they are not designed to work under pressure and if anything comes out of them like packing or a baffle piece. There goes your turbo.

Briansshop likes this.
  3. KenC

That makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that but you're right about pieces likely coming loose inside. Thanks.....Ken.

4. SpartanSV

Something else to keep in mind when building a rear mount is O2 sensor placement. Wideband O2 sensors don't like being in a pressurized environment. Place the sensor after your turbo if possible.

5. KenC

I plan to but I wonder really how much pressure is in the pipes ahead of the turbo. Testing using a exhaust pressure sensor screwed in an O2 bung might be reveling.

6. SpartanSV

It'll be more than your boost pressure.

In my application I had issues at only 8 psi boost pressure.

7. KenC

Got it.