1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

to cut or not

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 65bird, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 65bird

building a 65 falcon with a 351w based engine with a s400 bw 76 mm ,,i have already sliced the stock rear wheel wells to make room for 275/60/15s ..and due to fords short pivot side leaf springs , i opted to ladder bar the rear .....now what im looking for is opinions on the front suspension ,,the shock towers have to be modded for header clearence ,so do i stay stock or go to struts?

2. rare bird

aftermarket mustang 2 suspension, $3k with good brakes. Best money I have spent on mine. I used Rod& Custom but hiedts or TCI are also reasonable. Just think, you get adjustable coilovers, a rack& pinion steering and a shit load more engine compartment room!

3. 65bird

i had a 64 falcon with the mustang two front end and a full chassis with a 408 and a 300 shot thru a fogger ran 5.70 in the eigth mile and handled great ...had too sell the car when i came down with cancer ...well i dont talk anymore but im still here...the new 65 im trying to keep a little more original looking ...but i want to go fast so a cage is in the works and im torn between struts or mustang2..because ii have gone pretty fast with the stock shit and well a turds a turd

4. rare bird

I know where you are coming from ! I just thought that the offerings that used the factory shock tower were a compromise and to get some up to date handling and suspension geometry I would update, not to mention header clearance. I had the factory towers trimmed back at least an 1 1/2" and with a windsor you need more. Big brakes are a must. the rest is all on what you are willing to cut. Good luck with your decision.

5. greg64

I have a 65 falcon I'm building right now. I used the AJE racing strut style front suspension.
    The nice thing about it over the Mustang II is gain more working area down low around the frame rail, which is much better for a turbo header set up.

Greg

6. 65bird

greg do you have any pics or any watch out for this type inf on the install

7. 10secgoal

8. greg64

Hold tight Bird man. I am going to post a build thread on the Falcon. I have to download the pics off my camera.

Greg

9. 61falconman

I put a R&C MII setup in my '61 to get rid of those dang towers. Of course, the strut conversions hadn't been introduced yet. The strut suspension is very interesting, but it looks like you still could end up with shock tower clearance issues(?). Maybe the towers could be trimmed back and plated kinda like when doing a big block modification?

10. 10secgoal

Hells no. If you plate it right, you gain more room than MII

11. 61falconman

That's exactly what I was talking about.....lots of room!