1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Micro squirt

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by sam51, Feb 2, 2022.

1. sam51

Anyone run this, I've been thinking about swapping out my OBD1 factory FI on my 5.9 Magnum to this, I just want to get thoughts on this setup to see if its worth the swap or should I just go with a MS 2 or 3.

2. SpartanSV

Microsquirt only has 2 injector and 2 ignition outputs. It's not what you want. Firmware wise it's also limited.

You really want to run a MS3.

3. Pro-SC

I am running the Pimp x shift which is ms3 based along with trans control. I am still learning it but have to say that it seems to do everything. Mine is just an N/A build but working with tuner studio you get to see what it can do. For sure go with the ms3, it is the newest and gets updates, ms1 is pretty much outdated at this point.

4. sam51

how difficult is it to wire up, I don't speak fuel injection well as I'm a carb guy, my current OBD1 is from the donor truck and thats about as far as I've been with FI, I just used a FMU to supplement fuel and a safe guard for knock sensor and timming retard. I'd like to reuse the stock sensors if possible but looking into the wiring aspect it seems like a lot of technical stuff that I don't have a full understanding of.

5. SpartanSV

How difficult is this?

You're the only person able to answer this question.

We don't know your background or abilities. For someone who is familiar with reading wiring diagrams this is very straight forward. If you can't/won't learn to read a wiring diagram then look elsewhere.

6. sam51

I can read a wiring diagram, the problem I have is trying to figure out if I'd need to run wasted spark or sequential fuel and spark, I have no idea what the is setup as currently. This is where I'd be worried about wiring it wrong.

7. SpartanSV

Benefits of sequential fuel are minimal. Benefits of sequential ignition even less so. However, if you're using a MS3 there's no reason not to do both as long as you're able to wire them appropriately.

I don't know what the factory setup is. It could very well be wasted spark and batch injection. That's where you being able to read a diagram comes in to play.

8. Mnlx

The Micro has been used many times, and I currently have one on a 5.3. If you don't need all the features of a MS3 it works great for the price. It'll be batch, or bank fire, and wasted spark for anything without a distributor, but it works well for me.

9. sam51

I'll have a distributor, the cam sensor is built in the distributor. I already have a rev limiter, 2 step, and knock sensor in my safe guard so I don't really need those from the MS3, I was kind of interested in the boost controller, right now I'm just using the waste gate spring to control the boost, it works and I'm tempted to just leave that as is. My main reason for swapping from the factory stuff is I want it to tune on the fly.

10. sam51

looks like I may go with the MS3x, it just seems like the best option even though I don't need all the features I'll always have the option to add on later if I need to. How does the MS3 compare to say the Holley Term. X injection, it seems like the MS is the best option out there right now from what I've seen.

11. SpartanSV

The most significant advantage to the holly IMO is the applications they sell plug and play harnesses for. AFAIK your application isn't one of them. Feature wise a MS3X is very similar.

You're doing your own wiring either way which makes the MS3 significantly cheaper.

12. sam51

Thanks for the help, I'll be ordering the MS3, I didn't even look into plug and play, I figured that would be a long shot at best.

13. Disney Lincoln

IMHO, the Holley has better closed loop fueling. The Holley has built in wideband control which is nice too. I've built and run many MS ECUs and now that i've gone to Holley I can't imagine going back. The tough part is buying the Holley. Shit aint cheap.

B E N and Mnlx like this.
  14. 20112011Cummins

I really like my Micro setup for what it is and the capability it has. I would love to run holley stuff but between the ECU and dash the cost would've been most of my budget.

Lack of IAC is the only drawback I didn't see mentioned so far. You would have enough outputs to run a fast idle solenoid though.

In this situation are you going to see a benefit from a 2x cost ecu (Micro vs MS3)?

15. Bill Chase

They make a universal harness, and a dual sync for the 5.9 totally plug and play, as well as one of the Holley dealers (www.fastmanefi.com)
    has made crank and cam sync sensors for most mopar stuff that is plug and play, either option would allow coil near plug and full sequential. He can advise you of all the different ways it would be a plug and play system, and if it required any custom setup of ignition parameters, he would supply that to you for simple upload into the ecu he sold you. Very smart guy, reputable Holley dealer. If you wanted batch fire you could just setup the ignition as custom, most dodge distributors of that era were hall effect pickup. You can buy the "ignition harness" plug & pins for the Holley and just use the pigtails off the truck you took the engine out of and use the stock distributor (3-4 wires to sort out probably cost 40 bucks), you'd have to figure out if the signal was on the rising or falling edge., However it is not as complicated as it sounds. Best option would be cam and crank sync, universal coil near plug main harness, gm/Chrysler injector harness. this would be plug and play completely. Not sure if the terminator x max or dominator has Chrysler transmission control though. but there are bellhousings to mate to the dodge block and allow a 4l60e/4l80e transmission. again.. plug and play. Definitely not cheap, especially if you need transmission control.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  16. sam51

Thanks for the info Bill, I am currently using a 46rh trans so I can get the trans control with a couple solenoids. I'll take a look around the link you posted, thanks again.

Bill Chase likes this.
  17. ummduh

Micro can do 4 ignition outputs FYI.