1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Red 95GTS

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BBR, May 13, 2024.

1. BBR

As if i don't have enough going on, I guess it is time for a build thread on this car. Haha.

Snapchat-1361710989.jpg #ad

Jake picked this car up last year. It is an older build and has some decent parts. 347 with 351 heads, roller rockers, Edelbrock upper, Trick Flow elbow, BBK throttlebody, Summit MAF, 30# injectors, long tubes, unknown cam, 3.73's I think. It had a Tremec 3550 in it, we swapped in my AOD and converter because he wanted to do a single turbo. It ran, but acted weird. No power at upper rpm at all. We undid a ton of previous owner screwups, but the problem persisted. He took it to Colorado with him for a while and worked on it in his spare time. We found the fuel pressure was dropping significantly at WOT so he put a pump in hoping that would fix it. Nope. His spare time dwindled as did his interest because it just would not run right. I brought it back to Texas and have been playing with it and getting it sorted out. The biggest prob it had was timing. We never really looked at it because it didn't give any indication it was screwy. Started fine, didn't get hot, etc. (once we got the fan running the proper direction. lol) Once I got the timing correctly set (it had waaaaaaaaay too much) and an new cap on the distributor (old one was jammed on wrong.... don't ask me how) it really came alive. I think the PO was chasing a low power problem caused by fuel pressure and started messing with timing.

It runs really good now. So we are going to do what any self-respecting gearhead does. We are going to go ahead and put my GT45 turbo kit on it. Haha. Not sure what ecu or whatever we will use but we could use a plug-n-play SN95 Microsquirt from EFi Source. We'll see. I have a lot of work to do before we get to that point. Giddy up! :banana::banana::banana:

FB_IMG_1710169495341.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-117026490.jpg #ad
    Snapchat-1610175721.jpg #ad

2. BBR

Current-ish motor pic. Since the car has a cowl hood, we will probably change to a Foxbody style throttle body to open up space and make working on this thing easier.

20240313_174802.jpg #ad

nxcoupe, Pro-SC and TurboSnake281 like this.
  3. nxcoupe

GTS stangs are cool. I've owned one GTS and one 248a. The 248a was in that melon orange color. That's kind of a big turbo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  4. BBR

It's the same kit we ran on the 302 in the 83GT, so with the added displacement, it should work a little better. I am definitely going to change the wastegate setup because it proved to be not optimal.

nxcoupe likes this.
  5. BBR

Jake was home for a few days this week so he got to make a quick test drive. He came back with a huge smile on his face and did a couple of burnouts. Haha, Definitely my kid.

This thing probably has the best sounding mufflers of any car we have. Too bad they are coming off!

On a side note, I got to drive his '14 Coyote car that has a VMP Odin blower on it and that thing rips AND gets 26 mpg.

I am definitely doing all this car stuff wrong. :chuncky:

nxcoupe likes this.
  6. B E N

Coyote swap everything!

BBR likes this.
  7. BBR

:arco::arco::arco:

8. BBR

Pressure washing all done. I washed a ton of goo off the bottom of this car and it looks really good now. Maybe it will stay that way!

I could have done quite a few things to this car today but I'm going to maybe do some videos of the install. Basically showing what you can do to your project car in 30 minutes or so a day. So we'll see how that turns out.

Snapchat-1129271299.jpg #ad

TurboSnake281 and nxcoupe like this.
  9. BBR

I worked on it a little yesterday, while trying to video stuff. I got it jacked up and removed the intake tube, MAF, throttle body and throttle body elbow.

Today's plan is to remove the headers and exhaust.

Then I will start mocking stuff up. Main concern is alternator clearance and maybe the fuel line routing. I think this kit might actually be for an SN95 so it might fit fine. We'll know soon.

nxcoupe and B E N like this.
  10. BBR

I suck at this, but it's kinda fun. It's low quality, and I am not entertaining, but that describes about 99% of the stuff out there anyway. Haha.

I guess my kids can go back and laugh at their dad in 30 years or so

Episode 1

Episode 2

nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  11. BBR

It takes about an hour to film 30 minutes worth of work. Retakes, moving and setting up the camera (phone) and looking for tools eat up a lot of time.

I am trying to keep the video series as real time as I can. I hate the videos that just skim the top and *presto* we have a running turbo Mustang. I also can't stand super long videos of people working, so I am trying to keep each one short. I have no deadline and I'm not going to "lose the shop" so I will make as many vids as it takes to get this thing done.

Really really, these are so my boys can keep up with what I am doing. They are both away from home so I wanted a better way to share what is happening in the shop with them.

nxcoupe likes this.
  12. nxcoupe

I have a you tube channel. I have a lot of good content but it's very time consuming filming and editing the shows. And the computer I had my editing software on just crashed.
    One suggestion, if you are using a camera to film, not a phone, get a wireless mic so you'll have no echo and solid audio. I do it all myself with a buddy stepping in on some of them. Keep at it. You never know, you could be the next big thing.

BBR likes this.
  13. BBR

Episode 3 is up. I begin the header removal struggle, talk with my arms too much and I bonk the camera and video my arm. Haha.

nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  14. Russell

The commentary makes the time go by pretty good. I did watch it on 2x speed and fast forward a few times while taking the header bolts off. If you do time lapse I think you may loose the commentary? So far I would say they are better than any YouTube videos I ever made.

The passenger side header looked like it was getting hung up on the O2 wire zip tied to the bell housing.

BBR likes this.
  15. BBR

Thank ya. Yes, if I time lapse, I lose the audio. I tried the audio filter feature on that one to knock down the noise of the fans in the shop's big LED lights. It works ok, but it pretty much filters out everything except my voice. I think a better option for now is to use the fisheye setting to get the camera much much closer to me and that in turn reduces the echo and background noise.

idk about the O2 wire, I'll look. It looked like it is getting stuck in the space between the starter and kmember.

Episode 4 continues the header struggle. lol oooof.

Russell likes this.
  16. Russell

Your probably right about the header hung on the starter / k member. It was touching the wire not sure if it would rotate more if removed or not.

17. BBR

Episode 4 is up. The header struggle continues. Haha

18. BBR

Can I get the headers off in time?? Will I lose the shop?? Tune in to Episode 5 and find out!! :moa:

19. BBR

Episode 6! I show the turbo kit, mock some headers up, and take some amazing footage of the back of my head. :banana:

nxcoupe likes this.
  20. BBR

AC line removal and a sneak peek at another project!