1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

recommend an ignitition box

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wtfovr, Jul 30, 2008.

1. wtfovr

Ignition box recommendations for a street driven turbo 1995 dart 331.

What you recommend? I have heard horror stories of the "new" MSD.

This is the last thing on my "to purchase" list.

Forgot to mention it has PMS 3 for a tuner, complete Aeromotive fuel system, all accessories but smog,. Car is 99% street driven.

2. ralphiejantz

if you can afford the MSD digital 7 series that is the way to go
    I would stay away from the MSD 6BTM though it doesnt use the same type of boost sensor,
    look in the sponsors classifieds section there some site sponsors that carry MSD

3. blacksaleen95

how long are you planning to keep that pos...sorry..pms? if you have any thoughts of upgrading might want to look at running coil packs and going seq.

4. wtfovr

The turbo builder recommended the pms, he is the one going to do the tuning. Seeing as how I am only able to do very little of the work on the car I go with what he is comfortable with.

I have been eyeing some digital 7ness close to 600 bones but would rather do it when I am wiring the car than later and have to splice it back in.

I am always open to suggestion. Got any links to some coil pack systems. I have seen a few out there but only on the boards never in person or knew anyone running it.

.......and before someone else says it, I posted it in the wrong forum. :doh: :doh: :doh:

5. blacksaleen95

Man stinks that you got roped into the pms....It'll get the job done...just not as good as standalone esp at $939....

Figure this:

PMS $939
    dig.7 $700
    boost controller $250-400
    2-step $150-200
    etc....

see where I'm going here.... having a stand alone that integrates all that not only makes it easier, but it allows you to do a lot more with your setup since it can be dependent on one another. I'm not trying to knock your setup or anything...I just know what it's like to buy things 3 times just because I was unaware of stuff out there that was a better fit for me....maybe the PMS is better for you, however if it's a street car I'd find it hard to believe. When you start going up in injector size precise control of the injector becomes more and more important.... the eec fuel tables just don't have the resolution for the larger injectors.

imho you'd be far better off getting rid of the pms and going some stand-alone route. Does the pms support crank trigger or cam signals? You're pretty much locked into using a dist with that...what abotu timing drift? How accurate do you think a stock dist is going to be at 6500....I'm willing to bet it's off 2-3 degrees from what your idle timnig will be...2-3 degrees up top in boost will cause some problems if you're unable to compensate for that. There's just so many things that a standalone can do for you besides just "running" the car...

I personally am running the AEM ems, I utilize the boost control via gm solenoid, knock sensors, it will control my meth, drive my ls1 coils, is fully sequential...has trac control..... I love the aem...but it's not for everyone. It's software is very powerful and takes a bit to understand, so if you're looking for something to just set and forget you'd be better off with gen7, xfi or bs3....

sorry to get off topic....

here's an example of ls1 coil setup....this is using the PnP mustang aem box....and the aem EPM (engine position module) for the cam/crank signal...just take out the dist and drop this in and wire up teh coils...done. Personally for the $ I don't think you can beat the aem ems.....most of the neg. abotu them has been due to the timing errors when using an *MSD* dist...and the fact that it takes time to understand the software... but overall it's the most flexible standalone out there.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,20436.120.html

6. ralphiejantz

Im not a huge fan of the PMS either
    is it too late for you to return it,
    again like mentioned above not saying its just but for the money theres some better things out there,
    if your looking for a very user friendly setup the big stuff 3 is hard to beat and has a ton of features that are great for a street car all the way up to an outlaw 10.5 car,
    Ive used the PMS before and its okay it works well for what it is but a full standalone such as the BS 3, DFI Gen7, Classic Fast and Fast XFI are better choices and only a little more money compared to getting a PMS and the injector driver and Map sensor etc.

7. wtfovr

I got the PMS on the cheap, okay sort of on the cheap. Paid $600 for the system, datalog, acculog, and map sensor.

I will look into the stand alones. Might as well I am so far over buget on this thing and I can alway sell the pms for what I have in it.

This trip home i will be lucky if the engine is done in time to even ship to me much less drop it in. :bah: So I have some time to play with..

8. blacksaleen95

fyi...I my buddy picked up a 1401 mustang aem ems box off ebay for 700 shipped....keep your eye open.

9. brianj5600

What new MSD?

10. wtfovr

by "new" I am refering to their new quality. The last box that I bought or sold was back in '94 when problems with their product were far less than what I am reading about now a days. I know that I would be steamed to pay $600 for a Digital 7 and have it crap out. I remember the days when you bought a distributor, coil, box, and wires from them and never had to think about diagnosing an ignition problem.

But I could be completely wrong here.

11. Robert1320

Most MSD issues come from improper installation and not being wired correctly.

12. PowerAddict

so the BTM really isn't any good?

13. n8secstangg

i personalli like the BTM...but to keep it simple i would suggest an MSD7AL2, great box, great power, very reliable...

14. 78_Trunk

I have heard of the Diaphragm bursting in the BTM and then you go no control!
    Robert @ CDR sells MSD and great service too!

15. wtfovr

Well I have an email into Bob Kurgan on a AEM base system and on the parts needed to go EDIS. If things work out well in the next few days I may pull the trigger on the AEM and try both, the AEM and the PMS. If I like the AEM better the PMS will go up on the block and I will order the EDIS components.

I plan on getting with a site sponsor for a Dig7 on Monday and get it wired in during all the other work this coming two weeks. :chacha:

16. S-K SPEED

I would try out the Big Stuff 3 option as well,
    you might want to call and try to talk to some of the guys that use them and sell them
    I think the BS3 is probably one of the most user friendly systems out there to use,
    keep that system as one of your options and definately look into it
    it has a lot of nice features to it

17. Will Evers

Are you guys BS3 dealers? I am playing with the software now and I like it alot.

18. S-K SPEED

Yeah we just became a Precision dealer and are going to start carrying the BS3 stuff as well,
    just finalized the deal the other day so we're still picking out specific products we're going to stock in the stores but we will be carrying the BS3 products and can order anything from their inventory
    We've heard nothing but great things about the BS3 and I know of a few local people that are using it and Ive checked it out myself and Im very impressed with it,
    if you need any BS3 stuff definately let us know we can help you out,

19. Robert1320

Even if you got to BS3 you will still need the 7531.

20. blacksaleen95

f the digital box etc....

the aem will do all that and more....

get the aem, aem epm...ls1 coils and you'll be golden. The aem box will need no mods to be batch fire/seq... run tfi or crank trigger or epm...etc...

aem=underrated....