1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Recommend a 4x4 truck for a turbo(s).

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Hallow, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hallow

First post, newbie question. I am looking for advice on a future 4x4 truck purchase. I looking for a 4x4 truck with a carburated engine that would be a good candidate for a turbocharger or turbochargers. I thought maybe you guys could lead me in the right direction. I know I can not check off everything on my list but that is ok. I have underlined a few I think are most important, feel free to explain why you think it is important or not. I will be using this truck to haul loads and offroad so it has to be simple and tough. I have kinda grown tired of computers and efi. I understand I may have to use an A/F ratio gauge, this does not count. I want a truck I don't have to hook up a computer to it. Something simpler and mechanical. And please do not make this a carburated vs. efi argument. I want people with experience who have built and used a machine like this and explain the how and why of their statements. Thank you and let the party get started!:)

My list:
    1. Common repair parts/repair with handtools
    2. Carburated
    3. Turbocharger install fairly simple
    4. Intercooler & oil cooler
    5. Engine compartment space for turbo, little to no cutting
    6. Need to pull a trailer or heavy load
    7. Dual gas tanks
    8. 4 doors
    9. 8 foot bed
    10. Etc...Add to the list and explain.

2. flyinhillbilly

I'm going to say a 73-87 1 ton crew cab. I built an 84 3/4 ton 4x4 and it covers all your bases with the exception of being 4 door.
    Rather than explain you can check out my thread called project truckboattruck. It's been great fun, the next step is going to be replacing the rear end and cuttining it down to use a short step side bed that I have, then maybe paint........ Maybe.

3. 5.0thunder

So much room under the hood for activities

4. Hallow

Thanks Flyin. I have been trying to find a crew cab for awhile but no one seems to be selling. I would love to hear different options. 5.0thunder what are your thoughts?

5. B E N

how much weight are you talking about pulling, what kind of payload are you looking for?

6. 5.0thunder

Depends on what you need to haul. For simplicity, parts availability, and low cost, it'd hard to argue with a early-mid 80's chevrolet with a 350 engine, or similar year fords with a 351. The chevy parts will be more abundant and cheaper and will make good power/tq (4 bolt main blocks for sure). If you're wanting to haul real heavy but don't want diesel, it'd be wisest to go BBC/TH400. BBF is cool but parts are more expensive and hard to come by. a BBC with a little boost can make a LOT of street power.

7. Mnlx

Unless going 1 ton, Ford would be out for me. Along with the reasons given by 5.0 above, I wouldn't have anything with Ford's twin I beam 4x4 front axle.