1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Received my PTK Turbo Kit Today!

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by 488ci_Viper, Feb 3, 2004.

1. 488ci_Viper

My PTK T64 Turbo Kit arrived today. I opened all the boxes (4), and everything looks top notch. They did a great job packaging all the parts. The actual pieces in the kit look great! My experience with PTK from start to finish has been perfect, thanks guys! My next step is to install the Turbo Kit. It should be completely installed by Sunday so I definatley cannot wait to see how it runs. This is the setup my car has prior to installation:

1993 Mustang Coupe
    5 speed
    3.73 gears
    flowmaster mufflers
    everything else is 100% Stock

What kind of numbers do you think it will put up after installation? (Horsepower figures and 1/4 mile times)

After installation I will take it to the track and dyno to see how close the numbers are.

Again Thanks to PTK for their professionalism,

Emil Bragdon
    Irving, Texas

2. Snipe656

dunno on the numbers but I would trashcan the flowmasters :)

3. rao

:withstu:

You don't want the flowmasters anywhere near a turbo :)

4. Alex332

lucky bastard, when did you order your kit?

5. Snipe656

6. Alex332

hrm...

my order

11/25

his order

12/29

he got his, mine was just shipped...:rolleyes:

i think this calls for a free EBC, who's w/ me?

7. rao

Mine was ordered 11/4 and has not shipped just yet (though it should be shipped shortly).

I'll take all of the freebies :D

8. Alex332

yikes

whats the holdup?

9. Snipe656

Maybe you guys got different kits?

10. rao

Mine is pretty standard - T64, extra hole for a wideband and egt probe in #7, coated, no FMU, no fuel pump. I don't have a problem with the wait right now because I had the whole car apart to do a lot of other things and the $100 off will pay for approximately 1/100th of the other parts I installed ;) . Since they said they would be shipping it this week the timing will work out OK. Although If I would have known, I would have ordered when they had the sale going and got it faster and cheaper :D

If they get it here when they say they will and the quality is what I expect then no problem, if not, then there will be a problem.

I am really not in the mood for any :drama:

I am replacing the TTI kit that was in there and had seen better days.

On a side note, I got my AEM today :D

11. Snipe656

Sounds like me when I ordered my old Cartech kit, I just had so much other stuff to do that any possible delays on a turbo kit did not bother me one bit.

12. LRD VDR

Say "Bye Bye" to the 3.73's unless you plan on running huge freaking slicks on the rear!

Shahram

13. 488ci_Viper

Why?

14. Barry D.

what is it with turbomustang owners and wanting to severely undergear cars. 3.73's will be perfect for 1/4 mile even with a little 26" tire until you get into the trap speeds generated by ~450rwhp at which point you'll need to start turning more rpm than the stocker likes to make power at. with a good breathing stock shortblock with heads/cam/intake setup that makes power up top, if you want to turn it up towards the limiter, you can go with 3.73's, a little 26" tire, and the 6250rpm limiter and and be fine with what it will trap in the 500rwhp range. other than that, you can keep your 3.73's, go with a 28" tire and still work with the trap speeds you'd likely see from 600+rwhp. so, even with a 3.73 despite what others say (who clearly have never tried a simple rpm/gear calculator), you'll be fine with a basic 26" tire and your setup as far as racing the 1/4 goes.
    for example, with a 26" tire and 3.73's, you'll be able to go up to ~125mph (serious power) at only 6,000rpm's. with a 28" tire and those gears, you'd potentially be able to go mid 130's at only 6,000rpm. of course the stock longblock doesn't flow well at 6Krpm but it also isn't going to make the power anyways to go those trap speeds, they were just an example of what you could do with your gears and a basic h/c/i setup.

also, good to see you got your kit on time, i'm sure you'll like it.

15. rao

Got the kit today, less the turbo and wastegate :D

16. Barry D.

those are critical to the kit functioning ;)
    where is the rest of it? :confused:

17. rao

I suppose :)

They will be on their way shortly.

18. BADAZZ COUPE

Anybody ever tell you that you were a know it all! Berry

19. Turbostangman

I know this is off topic but I just wanted to give a little insite on this from a standpoint of practical experience.

With steaper gearing I have noticed a problem of not acheiving full boost in first gear and in some cases second. This seems to be more of a prevalant issue with manual trans cars than autos due to the lack of loading generated by converters and the fluid mass present there-in. But I have seen it in both cases.

It is simply a matter of not enough load on the engine. This is usualy more prevalent in a situation where the turbine housings (or over all turbo size for that matter) are a tad large for the intended application to acheive possitive boost production regardless of load conditions.

Take for example a GN/T-type. Anything steeper than the stock 3.54s and you can undoubtedly count on a reduction in 1/4mile time.

Barry is right on Gearing and tire calculation at a given RPM. The RPM at the top end and the given tire diameter determines whether or not a gear is too steap or not.