1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

t3/t4 oil drain back line?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by madmanmarine, Mar 7, 2011.

1. madmanmarine

is 5/16ths i.d. to small of a line for a oild drain line out of a t3/t4 turbo? looked it up and couldnt find anything. thanks ian :2thumbs:

2. MONTEGOD7SS

Is that the absolute biggest you can get? In the end, yes that's too small. If you can fit a 5/8" line, do it as there is no such thing as too big.

3. Disney Lincoln

You should use at least a 5/8" or -10 line out of the turbo. a 5/16 isn't even close. Not sure you could even find an outlet that small to bolt on....

4. wesk

The generally accepted rule of thumb is 1/2" if near vertical, and 5/8" if more horizonatal than 45 degrees. In any case 5/16" is WAY too small, and unless nearly vertical with a very thin oil will be a problem.

5. madmanmarine

well 5/16 was a guess. i messured and it is actually 3/8ths i.d. i know it isint the size it shoud be, but what would be some problems with this?? anything negative?? i was just thinking that since it only has a 1/16 or 1/8 input that as long as it was two, to three times the size of that , that it would be ok....but maybe im wrong? :doh: im sure the people that responded have ben around and worked on more turbo stuf then i have. and firsthand experience is firsthand knowledge :cheers: the only reason im asking is because i have these stainless braided lines left over from another project, and they have all the right fittings allready on them (moneys tight) it would be sweet if i could use them with no ill effects. also....could i use 5/8ths red heater hose?? or would it not hold up to the heat and oil?? thanks

6. Mnlx

oil comes out much different than it goes in. comes out "whipped" and not under pressure. oil will backup into center section, and more than likely end up in the turbine housing........ smoke

7. madmanmarine

cool...thats what i needed to know :2thumbs: what about the heater hose will that work?? temp going to be a prob? or the fact that it is oilin there and not coolant?. thanks ian :cheers:

8. Mnlx

I personally wouldnt use heater hose, the oil may make it swell...... but it would be better than the 3/8.

9. mnm99

Just put a hose on it 5/8 or larger thats rated for oil and over 250* and be done with it. Question Answered !

10. hemiturbo

rule of thumb I tell people..If you drop a 1/2 inch marble into the oil drain it should end up in the sump.If not make it bigger.

11. Disney Lincoln

AVoid the heater hose if you can. I ran it on my fcar for a while and had to change it out frequently as the oil and heat would swell the hose shut over time.

Also, I know you're on a budget, we're ALL on a budget, but please don't shortcut such small things like this. It's the little things in a turbo build that make it successful. I've never understood why people will put $2000 heads, $800 turbo, and $2500 transmission in a car then nit pick over a $20 oil feed or drain claiming budget.... But maybe it's just me.

Basically, you've got everyone on this board telling you to go with a -10 line that is oil resistant. Might want to go that route.