1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

rebuild my own turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by one eyed willy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. one eyed willy

ive torn them apart before and i thin ive even replaced the parts inside, its been many years since i have done this and at the time i was probably too young and dumb to care how it went back together. i now have a billit 6765 that i got second hand and it may have bad seals or something becuase of the smoke i was getting.....and now since i pusted my oil pump, i was thinking i should go ahead and do a rebuild just incase the oil pump messed up my turbo. I know the shaft is balanced......so is this a doable thing or should i send it off?

2. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Have at it shafts and wheels are balanced independently. Make sure you torq it correctly.

You can mark the shaft wheel and nut but this isnt the best way, but it does work just fine.

Check the shaft for big scratches and if needed you can lightly clean it up with emery add new bearings seal and thrust bearing.

Im sure precision will release the allowable thrust to you, and make sure when you dry fit it that it is in spec. If its to loose check the back of the front cover for wear and replace it if needed. If its to tight then the thrust bearing may need a wee little dressing.

When all is done and prelubed it should spin effortlessly, If it doesnt disassemble and try again. lol

3. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

All i forgot to mention I can do it for you. :D

4. one eyed willy

what do you charge to check them out? its practicly brand new, but i was getting alot of oil smoke from the exhaust with a real good drain line. it iwll be off the car for a few months so now is the time to check/rebuild or what ever.....let me know!

5. wantabe

hmmmm
    great advice..... ( sarcasim)
    something that is spinning at 100,000 + rpm u you advise to DYO ???

6. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

DYO? Do you own?

Dont matter if its 50 rpm or 50 million, same things apply. Common sense, clearances, pre lube, and correct torques.

Seems to work for me just fine. I have rebuilt just guessing here but somewhere over 500 turbos without issue.

The only thing I see wrong is I said for big scratches use emery and I meant small scratches. For big ones But a new shaft.

7. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

And yes we can get into over sized bearings and undersized shafts but lets keep it simple.

8. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Send it up to me and we"ll pull it down and see whats messed up and get your prices on a rebuild. (kinda depends on what it needs)

9. wantabe

there is extra power in a propperly balanced turbo ;)
    do back to back test on dyno , for caterpillar engines..
    its cool, not my engine the non balanced turbo is going on..
    i would never,ever allow a turbo to be refitted to an engine , NON dynamicly balanced
    20+ yrs trandsmen here too.

10. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Man i guess precision turbos been doing it all wrong all these years......

Yea its nice to have a balanced wheel and shaft on something custom but for what he has, it wasnt dynamically balanced to start with.

11. wantabe

doesnot have to be custom..
    and what turbo's are not balanced before being sold to the customer? u saying precision turbo's arn't ?
    have even seen the turbo leak oil from not balancing it..
    and as said before , they will make more power too , when balanced
    sooo, why wouldn't u get it balanced?
    its not if im going to make any money out of these comments, actually will make less !!
    be less failures in the future...
    i find it quite important to have the unit balanced after repair, and is irrisponsible to promote other wise

12. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Im saying their wheels are independently balanced on all the lower level stuff. Meaning the compressor wheel is balanced and the exhaust side are balanced independently. Works just fine.

13. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Also what kind of power increase lets say youd expect on a cnc 76 fully balanced vs how it comes from them? :yum:

14. wantabe

thats not a good example..
    who in there right mind, just slaps together a cnc billet comp wheel into a turbo ??
    it they have the budget for billet comp wheel, they have enough respect and $$$$ to get the job done right and finished off to be balanced...

on a cast wheel , tv81 , have seen 20-22 hp on a 400 hp diesel engine from just plain assembled un balanced turbo vs balanced tv81 same engine , same day..

hey, do you not balance the tyres on your car ???
    lol...bet u would do that... the turine spins way faster that the tyres on your car/ truck.. ;)

15. wantabe

i find that hard to believe.. :eek:
    we should have a side bet on this.. :2thumbs:
    i reckon all the turbos that come out the shop door are fully balanced...
    i'll put up a aussie drag race t-shirt if im wrong....for losing the bet :chacha:

you up for the test ???
    :cheers:

16. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Yep and I won already. I have bought a couple of sets of wheels off of them and when I asked about balancing, I was repeatedly told by them that they are balanced independently. this came from the builders mouths themselves. Now like I said before this is on their smaller scale stuff.
    You can send me shirt to
    B&G CUSTOM TURBO
    46071 Belmont centerville road,
    Belmont Ohio

Thanks again for the shirt I will wear it proudly to the track!!

17. wantabe

lol..
    going to get a second opinion
    ;)

18. wantabe

there u have it... :)
    a good healthy discussion , with ideas / opinions from both sides of the fence..
    hope it helps.. :D

thanks brian.. :)

19. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Hell yea :D But I have them balanced independently then bolt them on the car. Imagine how much more power and faster et's I would have by balancing them both on the car at the same time....... lol
    Sarcasm... :D

Now this is what I will offer you.....
    I will take my brand new cnc turbo when I get it back. I will loosen the wheel and I will give it a spin for you, where it stops no one will know.... I will then dyno the car.... it makes about 750 rwhp. I will then send it to the shop of your choice and have them dynamically balanced and put it back on the car, without changing a thing we will see the hp gain. By your math I should see a 80 hp gain? :D

What is the bet?

20. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

K keep me informed...... of my shirt.