1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

rebiulding kkk k26, need shaft/wheel, and advice, wtb anything that will work

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by fasteddie313, Jun 14, 2014.

1. fasteddie313

so I have my turbo at a shop and so far out of two turbine wheel/shafts ive sent them I guess both of them are no good because the rings on the turbine wore the notch/seat where the rings sit too much...

they say that the bottom of the seat is rounded out and that there is no way to fix this.. they cant turn in a new seat on a lathe I guess..

I looked up tolerance specs myself and I cant find anywhere where there is a depth spec for the ring seats, I can find width tolerances specs for the seat but not depth..

why wouldn't they make these tiny little rings in oversizes like piston rings? are you just supposed to throw away a very expensive piece of Inconel every time you rebuild these things? I would think not...

this turbo is a 5326-970-6407 off of a 1980 Porsche 924 turbo..

I either really need some help finding a good replacement turbine wheel/shaft for this because the turbo shop cant seem to get them, part number 5326-120-5002 is the correct oem shaft/wheel for this turbo..

im to the point where I know these part numbers by heart...

they just want to sell me a new turbo but its not that easy because the turbine housing for this Porsche is the only one in the world that has this 3 hole mounting pattern and making a custom header to fit a garrett is just out of the question due to space confinement and budget..

not to diss on this turbo shop but they only seem interested in selling me something new other than rebuilding what I have....

the first turbo I sent them was supposed to be a good rebuildable core when I bought it but when they got it they said the bearing housing and the turbine wheel/shaft were toast..

so I sent them the bearing housing and turbine wheel off of my original turbo that got a nut or something in the compressor (wasn't me) witch ate the intake end of the compressor wheel up, not the tips of the fins, the end... they said they checked the turbine wheel and the ring seat bottom is eaten up on that one too but didn't even look at the bearing housing so they couldn't even tell me if that was any good....

then said things again about getting another different turbo for me but I don't want the nightmare of trying to customize a different turbo in there...

these turbos on these 924s are hard mounted to the manifold, and a bracket to the engine block, and hard mounted to the exhaust witch is also hard mounted to the wastegate dump pipe witch is hard mounted to the wastegate witch is hard mounted to the car body bracket and j pipe witch is hard mounted to the header again so to try to fabricate in a different turbo requires you to make all of that stuff all over again..

I have no need to change any of that, k26 is plenty big enough to up the boost to 17psi easy and its got a dual port wastegate stock so im satisfied with all of this...

if there were an easy good way to upgrade the turbos in these cars the Porsche guys would be doing it, and unless there spending tuns of money and wanting over 300hp there not, and I don't want to spend a tun of money nor am I after insane power like that so I don't feel I need to either....

and im already into the shop half the labor cost of a rebuild so its not like I can just go retrieve my parts..

I just want to fix the car.. it cant be that complicated!!!

frustration

am I missing something here?

I need some explaining/reassurance...

anyone have a turbine wheel/shaft for a k26 they can sell me?
    or another k26 that contains the needed parts?
    or a complete turbo from a Porsche 924 or 944 s2 or audi 200? or parts from...

2. tchargers

Go get your stuff and take them to a turbo shop that knows what they are doing. K26 shafts can be rebuild no problem. They can even be rebladed if needed. Oversized turbine side piston rings and bearings are readily available.

3. fasteddie313

oh really?
    piston rings oversizes?
    I specifically asked them about turning a new ring groove or cleaning up the bearing housing where the rings sit...
    I searched for oversized k26 rings but nothing, your link is for engine piston rings..
    ofcorse specific information about turbochargers is extremely hard to find anyway, they act like its all trade secrets or something....
    in what way can I confirm that this shop is lieing to meor wrong because I sure as hell am not going to pay this shop to get my parts back if there bsing me...
    im into them $90 already just for inspection plus shipping things to them twice....
    where could I find such a supplier of oversized piston rings?

4. tchargers

Turbo International has rebuild parts for just about every turbo on Earth, But you have to be a distributor to by from them.
    If you go here: http://www.turbointernational.com/faqs.asp
    Contact them for a distributor in your area.
    Below is a page out of the catalog of the oversized rings available for K26.

IMG_0002.jpg #ad

IMG_0002.jpg #ad

5. boostcreep81

For the price and headaches you could just get an ebay turbo and upgrade JMO

6. fasteddie313

its not really that easy because with the 924 you pretty much have to stick with the original turbine housing and bearing housing or its going to be a massive and complex fabrication job...

the turbine housing has a one of a kind 3 bolt flange and the bearing housing is hard mounted to the block witch the mount incorporated one of the oil passages and other oil line is a hard line too...

I am not in the position to be able to fabricate a new header, dump pipe, down pipe, and oil lines right now, and that usually means making a remote oil filter mount and custom oil cooler lines too...

way out of my funding league right now...

I just wanna fix this turbo...

im gonna call a bunch more turbo international distributors and kkk-borg warner distributors tomorrow and try n get some real answers out of them...

in my experience these turbo shop guys so far have been somewhat pompous, rude, know it all, too good to explain or tell you information types.... bet ill piss a few of em off

7. fasteddie313

where can I find definitive info on part number crossrefrences for kkk turbos? everything seems to be dealer secrets..

8. tchargers

PM me your email address and I will send you the parts breakdown for your turbo