1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rebel Racing' 89 S10 Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by prostreet94s10, Sep 28, 2016.

1. prostreet94s10

I have had this truck almost 10 years now, and its come a long way. I am coming to the turbo world for the first time. The truck has a 383, 12.5:1, aluminum headed sbc, with a 175 shot. The plan is to go with a 5.3 with forged internals as of now. I have bought 2 eBay 69mm/t4/.95 turbo'. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo complete core with good 243 heads, intake, and most of the sensors I will need. Just a FYI for anyone you CAN NOT use this style block, it has no starter prevision (the starter is on the trans). I have a Holley Dominator EFI and a Holley 12-1800 on its way. Its going to be a slow build for sure. I want to have most of everything needed to swap before I start. Plus I want to try to pull the full potential out of this thing before I pull this motor. It has been a best of 6.730 at 103mph so far but on that pass the trans was slipping and the converter was way to tight at the hit, plus the converter was at like 22% slippage. Enough rambling here are some pictures

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And one of the 69's

[​IMG]#ad

2. Forcefed86

Great looking platform! What’s the ET/power goal and approx budget?

3. prostreet94s10

I would love to see 1000hp but have no real goal or really know what to expect wit a twin set up. I don't really race per say, its more go to the track a few times a year and see how fast I can go. I an excited to go turbo for the drivability and not have to pay 12.00 a gallon for fuel. I may be picking your brain a lot, by the way your car runs you know what the hell your doing.

4. Forcefed86

I was just gonna say for someone just getting into turbos there’s a pretty steep learning curve. You’re just as likely to blowup a nice expensive forged motor as you would a bone stock one. I’d suggest running a stock engine (or 2, or 3!) first to get the bugs worked out… If and when you blow it up it’s easier to cycle in another $300-600 stocker than it is to fart around with aftermarket internals and machine shops. A decent 2005+ LS engine (even a 4.8) will run low 9’s pretty reliably if setup correctly. And easily dip into the 8’s if you push them.

Those turbos are a great bang for the buck. 2 of them will be laggy on a mild 5.3 though. You’ll need a loose converter (which doesn’t jive well with turbos in general) or nitrous to get them spooled up.

5. prostreet94s10

I have kinda thought about running a stocker. I can not find a running engine for that price anywhere. I have all the no2 stuff to make them spool if need be for sure. I'm still in a huge luring curve just deciding what to use and what I need (waste gate, blow off valve, ext) lol. Your only about 3 hours from me I might have to make a road trip to your neighbor hood to pick up a engine if they are that cheep around there

6. Forcefed86

I've got a few spares myself... :grin:

Alum 5.3 basket case short block deal I'd sell with gen4 internals. (block hot tanked/surfaced with new cam bearings). Also have a 12k mile gen4 (the good one) 4.8 I'd sell for $700. It's ready to go long block. New head gaskets/bolts and all cleaned/painted up. Either would make a nice low 9 sec ride without too much effort.

Craigslist is a good place to find them... Should be able to find a jy condition 4.8/5.3 for $500-600 easy.

7. prostreet94s10

I might have to take you up on one of them. I need to pull the 06 I have apart and see if the crank is hurt. If not I will only need to find a block a rod and a piston.

8. prostreet94s10

Got a few big parts today, still waiting on the main power harness.

[​IMG]#ad

Holley 12-1800

[​IMG]#ad