1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Converter and gear ?'s

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by ORANGE*ADE, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ORANGE*ADE

Hey Guys I am new to this site and I have learned a bunch already reading thru all of the posts. I am running a Nitrous setup in my car currently, but I am going TURBO over the winter. I am running a foxbody coupe with a 357, c4 witha 4500 stall, 8.8 with 430 gears. The questions I have when I do go to the TURBO setup will I have to change the stall and the gear ratio. A few guys around here tell me yes and others say no, so I am confused. If I do need to change them what would be the best. I am thinking a single turbo (T-76) with a 357. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dman

is it a street car - 2800rpm converter, 3.27 gears, 28" tires. should make for a pretty decent 9 low second street car

3. ORANGE*ADE

No sorry! it is just a drag car.

4. Big_Ed

The boost will force the whole assembly to spin up faster. I would go with something like 4.10's or 3.73's so that you are getting more distance with each gear. Something else to consider too is going to a powerglide. I have seen a bunch of 5 second 1/8th mile cars running a glide. If you can afford a decent one, then get something with the SFI bellhousing and I seem to remember one having a "bulletproof case". May not be totally true but supposed to handle an assload of hp and tq.

Good luck and be safe.

Ed

5. ORANGE*ADE

Would it be possible to run a glide in the 1/4 mile, I am sure I would have to go to an even lower gear.

6. Big_Ed

Yeah. They make them with different final drive and first gear ratios. Just look around and find a reputable shop in your area, but remember that there is a whole other world out here on the internet for finding the same thing at a better price.

Ed

7. ORANGE*ADE

I have been searchng the net for a glide found a few, but I haven't found any one that will back their products up. I will keep searching and if you happen to come accross any please LMK.

8. Big_Ed

to find someone to back up a transmission for drag racing is going to be hard. I would find a used glide and have TCI in Memphis rebuild it. they can do almost anything you want to one. I would be concerned in locating one that has a SBF bellhousing or an adapter plate with the stuff to bolt it up, and dont forget about the flywheel.....

Ed