1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

VNT/ lound turbo noise underload

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by tim2234, Jun 6, 2023.

1. tim2234

I have developed a loud noise from my Turbo/VNT, it happens only when cold for the first miniute or so and while underload/ while the turbo is building boost. The noise stops once i hit max boost.
    I can only describe it as a squeel/ high pressure air/ metalic noise.
    I disconnected the vacuum actuator rod from the turbo so i could manually open and close the VNT and rule out any issues with the actuator. The noise was still there even when holding the VNT shut firm, and the noise stops when the VNT is opened.

Im wondering if this could be a possible carbon build up not letting the the VNT seal properly.
    In a zd30 commonrail, nissan patrol

Any ideas would be greatly apprectiated, Cheers.

2. bbi_turbos

Only time I've heard of that, is when a vane pops out of place.