1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Blanket Longevity

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dsrtjeeper, May 24, 2023.

1. Dsrtjeeper

I'm currently running a cheap Amazon blanket and I can't hold my hand on it after a drive. It's darn hot! I see manufacturers and consumers making claims that this or that brand is not hot to the touch after a run. I'm curious to hear your long term experiences with different brands. Can you hold your hand on the blanket after a spirited drive?

2. TurboSnake281

My hood burns my hand…

3. Dsrtjeeper

I hear that. The Phoenix summers are brutal.

4. Pro-SC

Ceramic coat it first with something similar to techlines turbo x then use your blanket. I had a customer once report back to me that he could touch his manifold with his bare hands after driving for an afternoon. I have never done that but a combo of coating and blanket should do the trick.

5. Dsrtjeeper

I had thought about having Cerakote applied. They have two colors that are higher rated than the rest of Cerakote's line.

Are you referring to the intake manifold on the engine?

6. Pro-SC

No the exhaust housing on the turbo. Do not do the intake manifold in ceramic coating. The only place you are supposed to on an intake is the bottom of the manifold to crate an effective thermal barrier between the engine and intake. If you coat the intake you effectively trap the heat inside the intake resulting in higher IAT. Cerakote does sell some ceramics that are not a thermal barrier, that type would be okay to coat the intake with.

7. Dsrtjeeper

I was referring to your customer that could touch his manifold with his bare hand. Which manifold?
    Thanks.

8. Pro-SC

Sorry turbo manifold.

9. Dsrtjeeper

Oh heck. There's no way on my car. I have the turbo manifold coated and wrapped and still can't touch it.
    I wish I could find a more definitive answer on which blankets work better. I don't think anyone has really tested several and came up with any conclusion. DEI wants nearly $300 for a T4 blanket. My current blanket was around $30 from Amazon. It's held up well but I have no idea how effective it is.

10. tbird

Blankets are gonna be hot. Their purpose is to stop the radiant heat from heating up everything around it.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.
  11. Dsrtjeeper

I cut open my Amazon turbo blanket yesterday. I pulled the filling out and held a blue flame from a MAP torch on it. I held the patch of filling in my bare hand. It took several minutes before I started to feel the heat coming through the back side of the filling. I'm impressed. The filling appears to be a silica based wool and it's not flammable. In researching the various brands of blankets; they all seem to use the same filling. I'm not sure what is to be gained by paying $300 for a DEI titanium blanket vs my $30 Amazon titanium blanket. They both use woven basalt fibers for the outer shell as well.
    What spurred me to look into this is that my cold side rest on the turbo blanket pre throttle body. Supposedly it isn't a big deal with the aluminum piping being so thin.

12. BlackCoffin

I have a PTP T6 blanket and after a cruise down the road and a pull a half mile from my house I can hold my hand on the blanket and it was only warm.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.