1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear mount turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Wantrearturbo, May 28, 2023.

1. Wantrearturbo

I installed a rear mount turbo on my 1996 explorer 5.0. When maf sensor is plugged in motor cuts out and bucks, my maf is after turbo and right near throttle body, is my maf to close to throttle body ? Do I have to have a blow off valve ? Pretty aggravated now after all that work. Can someone give me some pointers ? Should maf be in rear near filter , blow off valve needed ? When I disconnect maf I get plenty of boost but it got hot.

2. Mnlx

Most will make them blow through, but there is some tuning involved, and they're also very finicky to air flow. Bends, or even clocking can make a huge difference.

3. bbi_turbos

Maf should be before turbo.

The cfm going into the engine is the same so it doesn't know any better.

Best bet is to get a rising rate fpr to compensate for the boost.

4. Wantrearturbo

Ok thanks, don’t want to sound stupid but what is fpr, fuel pressure regulator ?

5. bbi_turbos

Yes, get a 1:1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

The problem your having is the maf doesn't see the extra flow, so it doesn't know to add fuel and your leaning out.

Putting the maf in front of the turbo would solve it but....

It may exceed the flow measuring capacity of the sensor...
    And it would require being able to tune it.

The rr fpr will do the trick for low boost, but still only get you so far. But you should for sure see a difference.

Do you have a wideband 02 gauge?

6. Wantrearturbo

Thank you so much ! I will look for a rising rate fpr, and move the maf to the back I will extend wiring about 10 feet to rear, any recommendations on an fpr, I will be maxing 5 psi. No I don’t have an o2 gauge.

7. bbi_turbos

You could try relocating the maf first, it's relatively free and easy to do.

If the computer can't compensate for the extra cfm, go the fpr route.

8. Mnlx

The stock fpr will work just fine, its been done thousands of times. I think BBI means a fmu, which has a fuel pressure rise greater than 1:1, and is really old school. Read up on what works, and have it tuned, you'll be much happier with the results. The Maf pre turbo maxes out very early in boost. You'll want to get a wide band O2 sensor, it's very important.

9. Wantrearturbo

Thanks ,

10. Wantrearturbo

Thanks !

11. Mnlx

No problem! You're in the right place for Ford 5.0 info, this place was built on those engines... It just takes some time searching, and reading.

12. Wantrearturbo

I will take pics of the setup tomorrow, it’s actually the 1935 ford pickup in my avatar, it’s all 1996 explorer 5.0, 2 wheel drive with 1935 sheet metal, I put the turbo in a tool box in the bed, it looks badass, right now I disconnected the cold side until I get it right

13. Wantrearturbo

I will take pics of the setup tomorrow, it’s actually the 1935 ford pickup in my avatar, it’s all 1996 explorer 5.0, 2 wheel drive with 1935 sheet metal, I put the turbo in a tool box in the bed, it looks badass, right now I disconnected the cold side until I get it right

14. Mnlx

Cool truck! Don't drive it with the cold side removed, the turbo will over speed.

B E N likes this.
  15. Wantrearturbo

I moved the Maf sensor before the turbo and it runs much better ! But still smells rich and stalled a couple times, could it be because I bought a cheap brand Maf sensor and I haven’t put anything but 87 octane in yet ?

16. Wantrearturbo

I moved the Maf sensor before the turbo and it runs much better ! But still smells rich and stalled a couple times, could it be because I bought a cheap brand Maf sensor and I haven’t put anything but 87 octane in Yet ?

17. tbird

You need a wide band to know that the fueling is. 87 octane wont make it run rich. But , I suggest 93 oct minimum until you know that fueling is correct. 87 is not your friend.

I think it was said. Mafs are very sensitive to location because they need smooth air flow. Any turns right before , or areas of turbulence will make them read incorrect.

18. Wantrearturbo

Thanks. Any suggestions on a wide and ?

19. mld54

20. tbird

Im sure that one will work fine.
    their SNSR-01173 would work just fine for ya. Save ya a bit of cash.