1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegate spring identification

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dsrtjeeper, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Dsrtjeeper

I have some used springs and two are a solid red. They were in a pair of Precision PW39 WG.
    OD is 1.75"
    Height is 3.1"

I then have a smaller natural colored spring.
    OD is 1.16"
    Height is 1.95"

I appreciate it.

2. B E N

[​IMG]#ad

Dsrtjeeper likes this.
  3. Dsrtjeeper

Thanks Ben but here's the rub... Precision describes their red spring as a red "striped" spring. If you look at a picture of a Precision medium red spring; it's a natural spring with a red stripe.
    The red springs that I have are solid red.

Precision red stripe spring:

[​IMG]#ad

4. B E N

So it could be either way. These are precision springs, out of a gate I bought last year, the other precision gate I have has the same springs. This is a pic from another generation of their application chart. They could be fully painted or just stripped 1104210959a.jpg #ad

The red springs are in the gates, I can pull them if required.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.
  5. Dsrtjeeper

Aha! There lies the confusion. Thank you Ben. The yellow spring is described as a "medium" spring also. I wonder if that refers to the spring diameter?

6. B E N

Refers to where they go in the gate.

The large springs sits on the outside seat, the mediums on the middle and the smalls inside. You can use one large, one medium and one small in any combination to get the base pressure you want (refer to the chart).

Dsrtjeeper likes this.
  7. Dsrtjeeper

Makes sense.

8. Dsrtjeeper

Just a follow up...The springs are Precision Turbo pieces.