1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear mount Turbo and Recirculating Bypass Valve

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by johnnypontiac, Apr 4, 2019.

1. johnnypontiac

Well, need inputs - Currently plumbing a 502 chevy and a S-480 "clone" : For street legal reasons I need to use a recirculating BPV - the problem is the plumbing as this is a rear bed mounted turbo in a 74 C10 Chevy truck, Thinking maybe to mount the BPV somewhere in the middle between turbo and throttle body - Vacuum line would be a "semi rigid" Nylon 10 mm hose (pipe ?) suitable for Vacuum
    Australian road rules sucks....... After extensive "Googling" have not yet seen any Rear mounted recirculating installations !

Any suggestions much appreciated.......

2. 91turboterror

You’ll have to run a short length of pipe with an air filter to make this work. Basically run it from the charge side of the turbo near the turbo to the short length of pipe with the air filter on it. Make sure your air filter is large enough so you don’t damage the turbo.

3. Mnlx

Am I totally missing something here, or couldn't you just mount it in the charge pipe near the turbo, and recirculate back to the turbo inlet.

4. tbird

This ^^^^^^

5. johnnypontiac

Oh - did not explain very well did I ?

I am concerned with distance between intake manifold vacuum and the bpv - it's a long distance - nearly 10 feet - wondering how the response time (Lag) of the bpv will be - hence I'm hoping the relatively large ID 10 mm (3/8) semi rigid "hose" will somehow help the "lag" Maybe I'm totally wrong ?
    The BPV is a Turbosmart Big Bubba with a 2 inch return line

6. malibuguy

I wouldnt sweat it that much. You might get some VL turbo dose, but thats basically harmless

7. 91turboterror

That’s what I was getting at

8. 91turboterror

Set it up like Mnlx,tbird and I said and you won’t have more than afoot of hose used

9. Mnlx

He needs a reference line from a post throttle source so it'll have to be quite long. Use typically sized line. Large volume will only slow response.

tbird likes this.