1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear mount intercooler, in the bed of a truck

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mr. Merk, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Mr. Merk

here's the layout, i've got a real nice FMIC at this point, however i may have to move my radiator forward to clear the waterpump when i do the V8 swap in my ranger, the turbo, is going to be mounted in the bed, so i said hey, why not mount the intercooler in the tail gate and put a couple pusher fans on it

would that work?

also thinking about putting it flush with the bed floor and building a scoop under the bed

would any of these ideas work or be logical?

advice or ideas are strongly encouraged

2. Traction Issuez

Instead of that, why not just install some alcohol injection?
    issuez

3. BlackMagic94

Because alky runs out and can fail as well.

I see no problem with doing this as trophy trucks mount the cooling devices in the bed of the truck, but I think it would be better to use an air to liquid intercooler core instead and take advantage of the space of the bed.

4. rusted40

I did the opposite
    put the rad in back and kept the A/A intercooler up front

5. TurboShortBus

+1 on the air-water intercooler in the bed.

Puller fans usually work better, anyway.

Mark

6. turbomike

You would'nt believe how well the meth works, and it's soooooo simple to fit in.

7. Mr. Merk

it sounds like it wont be any problem to get the acc brackets i need so i'll be able to keep the FMIC (its pretty anyway) where its at and i plan on running meth anyway

8. Rob_M

rusted 40 is right.

If the turbo is in the front, moving the radiator makes more sense than moving the IC. It's just extra hose and antifreeze.......

9. TurboShortBus

But, I think he mentioned that the turbo is going to be mounted out back...

BTW, nice looking Ranger. Not like some of the trailer park refugee trucks that people use for 302 swaps!

Mark

10. Mr. Merk

at this point it looks like i will be keeping the radiator and intercooler where they are now if i can get all the front dress off an explorer 5.0

the turbo will be mounted in the bed, compressor facing forward and the downpipe will extend rearwards to a muffler with a 45* tailpipe that exits through/under the bed floor behind the axle

gonna be wild!

11. Rob_M

Oops! blush! er I was drunk?.........My bad.

12. Mr. Merk

hey thanks man, i appreciate it a lot, it does need a new paint job now and the front end has been updated with newer style headlights, 4x4 valance and a cervinis ramair hood which may end up getting ditched