1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear/mid mount turbo return pump...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by mustang-junky, May 20, 2011.

1. mustang-junky

I took off my HP kit and now building a rear/mid mount turbo setup. The turbo will be behind the drivers seat, run up to the existing HP cold side then into the motor. If I like how the car runs, I may do a W/A intercooler behind the passengers seat, and take the A/A off.

I have been looking around at oil return pumps. What do you guys think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...8&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=69582782779809502

It kinda looks small,1.3 GPM, but unless at WOT I don't see a lot of oil needing to be returned to the motor. I plan on using 3/16" brake line for the supply, 1/2" copper back up to the motor. Through the reading I have done here it would seem that a vented catch tank under the turbo would be a good idea. Would a large catch tank enable this smallish pump to work for me? I am thinking that as long as the tank did not over flow by the end of a WOT 1/4 mile I would be fine. Any thoughts/suggestions besides put the HP kit back on? Price is an issue. Thanks.

Jess

2. 302f150

When I was looking at rear mount setups a guy recommended this pump. He had been running it for a while with no problems. I don't trust non name brand stuff. If they don't think enough of it to put their name on it I don't want it. For an extra $30 I would go with the Tilton pump
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TIL-40-524/

3. mustang-junky

I would like to get the Turbowerx pump, but I really don't want to get to much cash into this rear mount deal. If I stick with the rear mount I will be adding V-bands at each connection at a later date. Right now I have more time than money.

I have looked at the Tilton pump, I am not crazy about it being plastic. Also in my searching I have found some cases of there failure after a few hundred miles. Not that a Goggle search can provide only unbiased facts. Perhaps I will have to be the one to try one.

Jess

4. turbocoronet

I did a ton of research on return pumps and ended up with the overpriced turbowerx pump. What seems to always be recomended is a gear pump. If you do go with the diaphram pump try to mount it as far away from the turbo as you can to allow the oil to cool. They don't like 300 plus degree oil. I did a mid mount on a 2005 g35 and have no regrets so far.

5. stangman9897

I would say it would be ok to use , it looks like a knock off of the Shurflo i use which is a great pump and the Shurflo only cost about $30.00 more.

pump 001.jpg #ad

pump 002.jpg #ad

6. rdakota340

Who carrys shurflo pump I am going to need a pump soon!

7. stangman9897

My tuner picked mine up i will ask him where he got it when i talk to him.

8. mustang-junky

A bit of searching and I have found this one.

http://www.pumpagents.com/ShurfloPumps/8000-543-290.html

8000-543-290

12 VDC, 1.4 GPM open flow, 100 PSI, Viton valves, Santoprene diaphragm. 3/8" NPT Poly (Female) Ports, $90.95.

PUMP DESIGN: Positive Displacement 3 Chamber Diaphragm Pump
    CAM: 3.0 Degree
    MOTOR: Permanent Magnet, P/N 11-111-00
    VOLTAGE: 12 VDC Nominal
    PRESSURE SWITCH: None (1/4"-18 NPT Female Front Fitting Connection)
    LIQUID TEMPERATURE: 170 Degrees Fahrenheit (77 Degrees Centigrade) Max.
    PRIME: Self-Priming Up To 5 Ft. Vertical,
    Max. Inlet Pressure 30 PSI (2.1 Bar)
    PORTS: 3/8"-18 NPT Female
    MATERIAL OF CONSTRUCTION:
    PLASTICS- Polypropylene
    VALVES- Viton
    DIAPHRAGM- Santoprene
    FASTENERS- Zinc Plated Steel
    NET WEIGHT: 4.0 Lbs (1.8 Kg)
    DUTY CYCLE: Continuous

Like the price. I will have to give them a call on monday.

Jess

9. turbocoronet

LIQUID TEMPERATURE 170 degreers farenheit max

10. mustang-junky

Yup. Most diaphragm pumps I have seen for sale have a low temp rating. But people seem to getting by fine with them. Maybe mounting it up front would help...

Jess

11. 302f150

Go to the junkyard and pick up a small oil or trans cooler. I used one off a ranger to replace the factory p/s loop when I put my front mount intercooler in. You can mount them horizontally and still get some cooling, for a few bucks its a good piece of mind imo

12. mustang-junky

1/2" copper sucks balls to work with. Not really that flexible. I went with the e-bay pump.
    I plan on doing a thread on the rear mount in the builds forum.
    Jess

13. Disney Lincoln

14. mustang-junky

Yup, I came across that site in my searches. If I decide to stick with the rear mount thing long term I may upgrade the pump in the future. I ditched the copper idea and the catch can for now. I did however keep the vent. I ran 1/2" npt from the drain down through the floor to some 8-an Parker pushlock stuff I had left over. After the pump I am going to try 3/8" rubber line up to the motor. It is cheep and I think the smaller diameter might reduce foaming of the oil. I could not fit a oil cooler after the turbo without a bunch of cobbin, so I put it before the turbo in front of the radiator. Cooler oil into the turbo cooler oil out? I don't know, I guess I will find out soon.

Jess

15. tbird

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TIL-40-524

I used this pump on my buddies mid-mount turbo setup. Its gravity fed down to the pump about at foot with 1/2 hose. The pressure side back to the motor is patched into the original steel 3/8 fuel line to the front and then up to the valve cover.

Ran it all last summer without any problems. No drain back problems cuz the turbo is up high enough.

16. mustang-junky

I have the car up and running. The oil pump seems to be working very well. Actually it pulls some vacuum. I have a vent at the turbo and you can feel the suction from the pump i you cover the hole in the vent with you finger. I t is in this picture, the vent is on the end of the 1/8" pipe.

Jess

DSC00140.JPG #ad

17. rdakota340

Do you really need a vent I have heard people using them.

18. mustang-junky

I could not tell you if you do or don't, I have seen pics of it done both ways. But, it seems to me that I would not want the possibility of oil being pulled from the turbo. Also, I think that the return pump will live longer if it is not working as hard.

I ran the pump while priming the motor with a drill and the pump was pushing the oil up just fine.

Jess

19. mustang-junky