1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear gear selection.........advice needed.

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 89turbosedan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. 89turbosedan

Hello,

I just introduced myself in the intro section, and have another question regarding gear selection. I currently have 3.73 with 275/60/15 DR for the street and haven't bought slicks yet for the track, but will prolly go with 28x10.5.

Question is: should I put in 3.55 in the rear, as the 3.73 will be too much or should I leave them in?

my combo is in the intro thread found here:

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146971.0

thanks, as I've only had Superchargers, so, I'd like some solid advice.

2. schmuckingham

I prefer a nice 3:27 gear but I drive ( edit DROVE) my car a lot and it makes for a nice cruise car. I am sure someone will be a little more mathmatical than I

3. M&M Turbochargers

after researching the turbo forums looks like alot of people are running taller (numericaly lower) gears when turbo charging, i also looks like when turbocharging a person can use alot of items that the n/a guys think is junk

might try the builds board to see what other people runnin for gears

4. brianj5600

When I bought the 8.8 for my '67 I posted a wtb in the DFW area and got a nice Fox 8.8 with 3.08 gears for $75. I also got a 2.73 and 3.27 R&P for free. I have tried all 3 and think the 3.08 is going back in for my 26" tires. It is cool that everyone has no use for the stuff us turbo guys want.

5. 89turbosedan

any other advice?

6. huffer

Get solid strong jackstands.....lol
    jk
    best thing to do imo...is spend a few days reading and researching, write things down that confuse you and then do a search to find the answer.
    95% of the questions have been asked on here before and there are some really switched on guys with a huge knowledge base to pick their brains if required.
    set REALISTIC goals for your build.
    Check out the Build threads to get ideas and of course start one yourself
    :cheers:
    Chris

7. 69IMP4drPOST

IMHO definitely go w/ 3.08 or 3.27 gears especially if the car is under 3500lbs. w/u in it
    I love the streetability and 2900 rpms freeway @65-70mph w/3.55 gears; 295-60 hoosier quick time approx. 29.5 tall
    My restalled Vigilante converter is tighter than expected @ 2500 but the car is 3880 w/me
    Turbos make so much torque so they're not as gear sensitive as N.A.

8. wgsr-1

My turbo mustang runs best with 373's and my mazda runs 410's. It seems that they are not as tune sensitive with the deeper gears. I'm blow thru.