1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Realy wierd oil in intake question LONG!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 95TURBO5.0, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 95TURBO5.0

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me. Ive been using this site for the past two years. You guys are great. Now its finaly time to post my own problem. Ive searched all over and have found nothing specific to my issue. Ill start with what I have. 95 turbo 5.0, Stock bottom end, Stock Cam, AFR 185's, Cometic HG's, Trick Flow R intake w/ Box Upper, 42lbs injectors, PRO-M 42lbs MAF, PTK Street kit w/ precision SC60-1 turbo. Okay there are alot of little stupid details but Ill try to keep it as straight forward as possible. Theres more than just this going on but my main ? is..... I have oil in my intake. Seems like a normal complaint but. I have no PCV at all. One breather in each valve cover and a third in the PCV slot in the intake. The oil is either coming from the turbo or back up through the motor some how. I do not see any oil in the intake pipes though. And heres what is confusing me. The oil traces all the way back up from the chamber to just behind the throttle plate in the throttle body. So the back of the throttle body, the intake elbow, the entire box upper, and the lower intake runners all coated with oil. Is it posible for this to be coming from the turbo and just mixing with the air untill it hits the turbulance and heat of the throttle body? Like I said there is no oil in the intake pipes, just behind the throttle plate all the way to the chambers. There is no way it could be coming back up from the motor back through the intake is there? The intake pipes are dry while the intake is wet to touch. All I can think of is its comming from the turbo. I pulled it off and there is enough shaft play where its almost hitting the compressor housing. I can see some oily residue on the 3" exhaust outlet. I pulled the compressor housing off and as the outlet narrows toward the center there is black oily gunk built up on the housing. The inlet is clean but the outlet seems rather dirty. Im no turbo expert but is this where the oil is coming from? Ive got an exhaust housing coming in monday for the new turbo Im puting in so I guess Ill know then if the turbo was the culprit, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced anything like this, and could point me in the right direction. Sorry its so long but I wanted to give as much info as posible. I know Im a newbie, just break me in slowly!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. tonym

you still running an egr?

3. 95TURBO5.0

Sorry no EGR at all

4. Linc's 84 351

OK, so the PCV is gone, but are you still running the little tube from the oil filler tube to the TB?

5. 95TURBO5.0

Nope. The intake pipes are completely sealed off exept for the airfilter. There are breathers in my TrickFlow valve covers. So no filler neck. It has to be coming from the turbo or back through the motor. But thats imposible, Right? I know it confusing as hell. The intake pipes are dry but just after the throttle body its wet. I dont get it.

6. white95v6

well its not weird to me. my car did this all motor and then when i put on the turbo i cleaned out all the intake runners. and now i have some build up in the runners again. i don't worry about it too much. and yea i know that oil reduces the octane of the gas.

also i have a 6 banger. so there is alittle difference. but still the same stuff.

and yea my crankcase is totally vented and no EGR. and its not coming from the turbo. i know this for a fact.

7. 95TURBO5.0

Im glad to see someone else has had this happen too. It stil puzzles me as to where its coming from but I guess Ill jus try to overlook it. I should be putting on the new turbo so Ill post what happens then. Thanks for all the replies to my ?s.