1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Really hard time deciding between Torker II and Victor Jr. SBC

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by BLOWN-88, Nov 5, 2008.

1. BLOWN-88

Hi Everyone, I've been reading many posts and came to see that they are both good intakes and will both work. I am currently running the Torker II, and have had great results. So basically the engine is out and in need of a overhaul and since I'm at it I might as well do some upgrades. The set up is as follows:

sbc 383 Forged crank h-beam 6 inch rods and srp 9.25 pistons , which I am changing to Diamonds with 8.75:1
    AFR 195 heads with 65 cc chambers
    Torker intake,
    Cammotion custom hydralique flat tappet .451/.449 lift and 221/228 dur @ .050 112
    holley 650 with vent tubes 70/70 jets water meth inj. SNOW
    Vortech SQ good for 680 hp
    th350 with 2500 converter
    3.73 gears
    Engine dynoed 664 flywheel hp @ 6000 rpm and 622 lbs of torque
    69 Chevelle weighing 3850 with driver ran 10.80 @ 126 1.56 60 ft times on drag radials through a 2 1/2 magnaflow exhaust. The car is quiet runs great, decent gas milage etc. I have a really good thing going but I'm gonna change it :noidea: What can I say I'm a little bit :stupid:

So now the Diamond pistons are ordered
    Sq blower has been sent for an upgrade STI good for about 780 HP
    Cammotion has recommended .494/.473 236/246 dur @ .050 . will peak at 6500 rpm now
    Th400 same 2500 stall for now. Will eventually upgrade to something better maybe 3000-3500
    Going to up the boost from 11psi to maybe 15 psi

The only thing now is do I stick with the Torker II or upgrade to a Victor Jr. I have the hood clearance. I'm just worried to loose a bunch of low end . Also curious about fuel distribution, which does a better job?

This is the only picture I have of it.

Thanks
    Nick

IMG_6749.jpg #ad

2. dreamr3488

Hey Nick!
    Nice Chevelle...very nice car indeed :2thumbs:
    3850 lbs.!!! Holy Moly!!!
    Sounds like a "good thing" you got going there, but boys will be boys and we gotta keep messin with our toys...lol

I have a 355 with a D1 Procharger and a slightly bigger cam and it runs great with the Victor Jr.
    I have zero problems with fuel distribution with the Victor Jr.......It pulls really good from 3500 on up to 6500 rpm.
    This was with a 3000-3200 stall converter.
    You'll be "sacrificing" a little down low, but with the higher boost you plan to run, I bet you don't see much of a difference.

I'm thinking that you would probably benefit from switching to the higher stall converter now since the engine is already out.
    I would go with the Victor Jr. :D

Darryl

3. BLOWN-88

Thanks for the reply Darryl, So up it to a Victor jr., and change the stall to pick up the slack down low. Just curious about those D1's, are they really loud. I bought a Vortech SQ Trim just for the fact that it is very quiet. Recently found out that the DISC comes with helical cut gears and should be pretty quiet also.

4. Stroked-Z

Dont use that Torker II intake, from what i remember its a POS with not much lowend, not much highend & some distribution problems throughout.

Vic Jr i would say

-Carm

5. BLOWN-88

Hey Carm,
    Thanks for the input. I think that is what I'm gonna do. It's too bad I keep missing you everythime you head down to the track. A buddy of mine told me you ran in the 9's and then he was shocked when he saw you on the highway heading home, "no trailer". I told him it's a real street car, no bullshit. Very nice.
    Nick

6. TrendSetter

the torker2 sucks compared to a victor jr

7. dreamr3488

Hey Nick,
    You're right....I also heard that the D1SC with the helical cut gears is much quieter than the D1. I really like the sound of the blower though and get comments about the "noise" coming from under the hood all the time...lol
    I think I'm gonna miss this sound when I finally get my turbo stuff together....

Another buddy of mine ditched his D1 a few years back because he got tired of sound. He said it was like having a gear drive and his wife could always hear him coming home all the time at 2:00 in the morning :ahah:

Darryl

8. nufnuffz28

I am using a Vic Jr on my build and everything I have heard(and what we are using on all of our carbed cars) the Vic Jr is the way to go...

9. BLOWN-88

I will get a Victor Jr. I've heard the Prof Prod Huricane is not too expensive for a polished intake. I however feel more confident going with the Victor Jr.
    Darryl, I understand the feeling with the sound , I love it too. I'm running a F2 in my 68 BB car. It's just that the 69 with the small block and the quiet blower goes by unnoticed. Its just about invisible. Sometimes its nice to to go for a relaxing ride and not always worry about the police. They're pretty strict here with noise polution as they call it. To me it's more like music, I guess I must not be normal. :D

10. 6D9

I say Vic jr all the way if you have hood clearence. I sent you a PM!

11. dreamr3488

LOL
    You hit the nail on the head.....it's like music to our ears! And don't worry, you're completely normal....hehehe
    It's when you stop appreciating the sound and feel of a nicely built machine than you are not normal :bah:

Wow, your 68 BB car sounds like a nice ride! What kind of power does it make with the F2? I was wondering why I saw two different car colors....

Darryl

12. Stroked-Z

Hey man thanks for the props....went 9.4X on pump gas that day! I just noticed you're from MTL. I dont look anymore cause everyone is from the US!

We'll have to hook up some time in Napierville! I run there about 4 times a season, but im always up there with my buddies & their cars!

-Carm

13. BLOWN-88

Darryl, The 68 made 1248 horsepower and 1005 lbs of torque 15-16 psi, all under 6500 rpm on pump gaz and meth inj. I used it about 5-6 times this summer. Done a couple of shows and that's pretty much it. Everyone's nagging me to take it to the track, but I guess I want everything to be done before I do. I have a few details to finish up and should be good to go.

Carm, I've been to the track a couple of times this year, not as much as I would of liked. If I spot some Ontario license plates I will definetelly come around.

P1010849.JPG #ad

P1010850.JPG #ad

P1010630.JPG #ad

14. dreamr3488

AWESOME!!! :2thumbs:

That car will definitely kick butt when you get it to the track! I love the twin Holleys on that big mofo engine!
    It must be hella fun to drive..... :D

15. L.C.B.E

im in the same boat on single plane intake manifolds, not sure which to get(jr. won't fit). i bought a professional products air gap and kind of regret it. if you see how much porting work goes into a racing intake manifold(tony bishoffs "engine masters" winner) you realize it's not worth scimping and always wondering. i would go vic jr., especially if clearance isn't a problem.

16. TurboComet

The old school single plane intakes like the Torker, Torker II, Weiand X-Celerator, etc., actually can work surprisingly well in blow-through applications. That being said, the Victor Jr. is still a better choice over those manifolds if you don't mind spending the extra money. Other nice candidates would include the Weiand Team G and one of my personal favorites, the Holley Strip Dominator. When the Victor Jr. is used with the appropriate parts combination, you'll find that you give up very little in the way of torque production, even down low under 3,000 RPM. I wouldn't even necessarily change converters yet. If you're happy with your current converter, I'd wait and see how the car runs before spending the money there.

17. BLOWN-88

Thanks for the reply guys. I clearly see that the Victor Jr. is the way to go. I went and ordered it yesterday. I will try it out with the existing converter and see what happens. :2thumbs:
    Nick

18. turbobubba55

i like my victor jr, but it worked better with a 1 or 2" spacer- distribution wise.

19. BLOWN-88

I wasn't really thinking about a spacer . Sometimes it can give a good amount of horsepower. I remember on my naturally aspirated 491 BBC , the 1 inch was worth 28 Horsepower. This is however at peak horsepower. I guess I might have to put it back on the dyno. I'm doing pretty much everything to get the HP up it would be a shame to leave some on the table just because of a spacer. Thanks for the thought turbobubba55.

20. blown385

I loved the sound of my D1SC .

But the sound of the S480 is cool too ............... just a different kind of cool . :D