1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Reading plugs on E85 mix

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by geoturbochevy, Feb 2, 2014.

1. geoturbochevy

Hello everyone,

I would like to get some feedback on reading this plug.

I have an E-85 mix on the car and use a tester prior to filling the tank to make sure of the percentage of E-85 that I am running. Then I adjust the tune accordingly.

On this pass I had 25% Ethanol on the fuel mix as per my E-85 tester. Is it running lean?

Have the plugs gap at 20 and only running 10 degrees of total timing after 3000 RPM WOT

plug.jpg #ad

I'm running 42lb green top injectors on a 355 SBC with Twin GT45's set at 8psi. Car felt grossly overpowered and when I went to check the data on my LM-1 wideband it stops shortly after I stage. I'm guessing it got disconnected after I launched.

plug.jpg #ad

2. Jeremy

Looks fine, 10 degrees of timing is nothing for e85 even at only 25%. I run 17-18 degrees of timing on 93 octane 16-18lbs of boost. .028 gap one step colder plugs.

3. geoturbochevy

It's the first time I run E-85 and was not sure as to what to look for on the plugs, at first glance I thought maybe they were a bit lean.

This is a new engine combo and want to run it as conservative as possible for the break in period then later down the line once I learn the proper tune I'll start looking for more power with the boost.

As it is right now the car refuses to hook under boost. but that is something that I will deal with at a later time.

What exactly should I look for on the plugs when running the E85 mix?

4. 434chevelle

Are you running a wideband?

5. 434chevelle

Sorry, I missed it because of this stupid phone I'm on and it would not let me edit. My plugs look pretty much new when i take them out.

6. geoturbochevy

These were the same plugs that I had on there while tuning.

So they've been on the car for a while.. 2 runs down the 1/4 and plenty of initial start-ups and base tuning..as you can tell at idle I initially had them rich....

I have new plugs that I will install on the next trip to the track though...

7. 434chevelle

I don't have any experience running E25. I missed that at first. I run E85.

8. ducatibrian

Make a 1/4 pass then pull a plug, take a pic looking down from the top of the plug

Preferred with threads removed to better see porcelain