1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

random smoke cloud out the exhaust

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by RedRocket00, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RedRocket00

ok, so heres the deal. I just finish building my 383 stroker single garrett gt42. the truck runs great, but when i start it up, and i drive off. occasionally i will get a nice cloud of smoke(oil) that will pass me at the light or the stop sign. seems to do it only when it is warming up, and when the truck is not completly up to temp. Also, once it does it, it will not do it again. untill the next time i go to drive it.

2. furchaser

Sounds like you may have nicked a valve seal .. Was the motor broken in without the turbo ?

3. throbbinV8

I had a similar problem with a 2 litre Rover Vitesse (820). It turned out to be oil vapour escaping past the turbo seal, condensing into droplets when the engine cooled and then being sucked through the motor on startup to produce smoke. If this is the case the oil droplets will be pooling somewhere. This can also account for the intermittent nature of the smoke problem. Perhaps a finite amount of oil needs to pool before its ripe to be sucked through (and noticed).

Easy solution is to pull off some of your cold pipes and feel around inside to see if they're slick with oil. Its also possible if you're using an intercooler that oil may have collected in there. I once bought a junkyard ERF truck intercooler - the bottom was full of sludge and oil.

4. RedRocket00

the motor was broken in on an engine dyno, by the builder, without the turbo. it will not smoke on startup, and the intercooler pipes are clean. i was told i might need a vacuum pump due to exsessive blow by. i have breathers to the atmosphere.

5. BOOSTEDROK

Just my two cents. But I put my money that you have a drain problem on the turbo!!! Needs to be -10 or bigger. no 90 or uphill

6. jaredsamurai

Yeah it may just have excessive blow by when its cold and it goes away at operating temp :huh: Pull the DP an see if there is oil in it. If you need a source of vac I would also look into the exhaust evacuation kits. I'm switching to one here shortly based on good results I've seen on this board.

7. ash

you got a aircleaner on the front ?

8. RedRocket00

it will produce the smoke cloud with or without the air filter on the turbo. i am starting to think it is the drain. the turbo is on the driver side, and the drain line goes down across to the passenger side, with a 90. it is a -10.

9. ash

i bet it is from the oil being cold.....
    when cold, it does not drain away quick enough...
    test it, and warm the car up good , before driving ???

10. RedRocket00

i changed the turbo drain out from a -10an to a nelson racing -12an billet drop drain, and everything is great.

11. BOOSTEDROK

Nice. Thats awesome. -12 worked? I too myself Am having some smoke on cold start up. I dont think it smoke while driving. Only if i let it idle in the driveway for a couple minutes. I only have -10.

12. stangman9897

Drain problem.

13. BOOSTEDROK

Yeah. I guess i better practice what i preach!!! Lol.