1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4v swap alternator questions

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by yoteehunter, Aug 27, 2010.

1. yoteehunter

Im doing a 4v swap. My car is a 1997 gt I put in a 1997 4v. I purchased the 1997 4v alternator today and the plug looks the same but is turned around. Do I need to move any of the alternator wires around or just turn the plug and plug it in? I know I have to switch the coil pack wires and I was just wondering if I had to do anything special for the alternator.

1999+ alts I know you have to mess with the harness but I am not sure on this 1997?

2. 99TTGT

In mine, I just plug it.

can you post some pics.? <maybe yours is diferent>

3. yoteehunter

Yes I will try and get some pics today.

4. yoteehunter

Ok I took a picture today. I had surgery wed. and the codine and other stuff have kept me a zombie.

[​IMG]#ad

The GT unti is the top one. You can see it has the same plug plus one other wire not sure what it is maybe a ground. Then it has the big + connection.
    The cobra unit has the same 3 prong plug but it is upside down compared to the gt plug. The cobra unit does not have the extra single wire plug and it has the big + connection. So I am wondering what I need to do to make this thing work? Just turn the plug around and plug it in? That still leaves the single gt plug one wire loose. Im not sure what to do.

5. stangman9897

Any pis of the swap. I have an 97GT for my d/d and this winter when i put my 427 in my cobra im going to put my cobra motor in my GT and lose the 2V. would like to see so pic's if you have any or did you do a build thread.?

6. GoldenHP

I have a 96 gt and did the swap with a 97 mark 8. I jus plugged mine in and cut the little pig tail off. Its only there to tell the alt that to charge( the battery light ) the newer one don't have plug its all self contained

7. yoteehunter

You think my battery light will be on without it plugged in? Thanks

8. yoteehunter

I have a build thread.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123214.0

9. GoldenHP

No batt light will work like it was suppose to