1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What trans to use ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mld54, Feb 13, 2004.

1. mld54

Hello, I am a newbie and want your opinion, I am changing my combo from a Kenne Bell blower to a HP stage two street kit, and thinking about changing the trans.

My car is a 91 LX and was originaly had a T5 it now has a non lockup AOD. The car is mostly used on the street but will see the track, I am shooting for 500 plus hp at the wheels. The question is do you think a auto or standard is better ? and what trans, c4, aod, tko, etc is better, I want the car to be dependable at that hp and because the car will see alot of street use I want to also think about fuel milage. what do you think ?

2. davidl340

My opinion, if you're wanting better track numbers, stick with the auto, think about a transbrake to build some boost off the line. If you still want gas mileage, think about getting a lockup converter.

If more into the street fun stuff, go manual, lot of fun, better gas mileage I would bet.

transmission choice: if you go auto, c4 has no overdrive, but is cheap and dependable, but your gas mileage may suffer do to no overdrive or lockup, AOD is good if you get it built right. As far as manuals go, don't have a clue, heard a lot of good things about the X2C trannies, know my dad has reasearched a lot of things to replace his t5, and he's probably going with the X2C transmission.

3. mld54

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the X2C V 1.0, and agree about the fun factor

Anyone else ?

4. rao

There is no "better", either can be made to live happily with your combo. Personally I much prefer a manual transmission.

5. samshady

I've been doin some research into the g-force transmissions. Their street kit is supposed to be good for 600hp on slicks in a 3000lb car.

6. BlackMagic94

GForce sucks and everyone should boycott them for what they did to me.

7. GREG O Brien

which is?

i know a bunch of people with G-force stuff that are VERY happy :)

8. BlackMagic94

The fact that i gave them 1500 dollars, and they took 2 months to give me nothing and had nothing but excuses on why they had gotten all the parts for my upgrade kit. They are useless and Bubba has no customer service skills.

Buy a real transmission, like a TKO II like i did, you will be much happier, and you will have a T5 to sell to gain some money back.

9. samshady

wow thats the first i've heard of anyone having problems with g-force. I've called and talked to them a couple of times and they seemed very helpful.I like the idea of keeping my light t-5 that i can pull out buy myself and the fact that my bell housing and shifter can be reused.Sorry about the trouble you had.

10. GREG O Brien

build me a motor plate and custom flywheel to hook up a 302 bell to a 2.3L and I will... lol.

i've never heard of any such problems before, but most people i know just buy the parts from them and convert the T5 themselves.

i've gotten use to pretty much all performance parts taking 2-3 times as long as quoted... regardless of company or part. i'm pretty patient though.

11. BlackMagic94

I only ordered the T5 upgrade kit with the upgraded mainshaft and then i was going to rebuild it myself. It was over 2 months and still no fucking parts.

12. GREG O Brien

and the hold up was the mainshaft?

i think they always have the gears in stock more or less.