1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Quick question about MegaSquirt wiring...

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by TwoFastT3s, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TwoFastT3s

I run MS 1 V3 with the TFI module sending just the pip signal to the MS, then the MS sends the signal to the MSD dig 6, then the MSD dig 6 fires the coil. I have been having problems getting the car to rev out to 6000 rpm, and I've changed everything on the car that is related to this problem other than the MS. (Heads and valves, springs 150 seat and 380 open, lifters, pushrods, rockers, plugs, plug gap, plug wires, cap and rotor, rotor phasing, moving wires around to get rid of a chance of a cross signal, etc..) This is the question...

Could I take the TFI pip wire that is going to the MS, and send it right to the MSD dig 6 (White wire) and take the MS (timing cotroll) out of the loop? (For testing)

A new coil is coming in tonight for testing...

Nate

2. tt350chevelle

I don't know shit about Fords TFI setup but if you remove the pip signal from MS to connect directly to your MSD then fuel will not work because your removing the rpm signal.

Brad J.
    PS: I really feel your problem is ignition related and wanted to throw some ideas (ignore me if they have been mentioned already). Does the Ford TFI modue have any kind of factory RPM limiter? Is it the proper Grey module (as stated in the MS manual?) Did you set your MS to MSnS mode and fixed duty cycle (not TFI mode).

3. TwoFastT3s

Ya, I've had the settings looked over by Matt at DIY autotune, and he said they were are good to go for my set-up. I have the TFI there only to send the PIP signal to the MS, and the factory computer does have a rev limit, but it's at 6250, and in the comp. The dist is a Ford Motorcraft unit with the Motorcraft TFI module. When I route the pip signal to the MSD, it'll still be going to the MS, but the wire from the MS will not go to anything. (Per Matt)

Nate

4. Matt Cramer

You wouldn't wire the PIP signal to the MSD box - you'd use the wire that normally goes to your coil and wire that to the MSD box. The PIP wire would still run to the Megasquirt.

5. TwoFastT3s

Just to make sure we are on the same page,

1. I'm gonna disconnect pin 36 from the MSD and let it hang.

2. I'm then going to tie into pin 24, and run it to the white wire on the MSD.

3. I need to make sure pin 24 stays hooked up so the MS see's rpm.

Is this correct?

11111Mustang-msd-wiring2.png #ad

6. Matt Cramer

Right.

No. Run the MSD white wire to the wire that would have run from the TFI module to the coil negative. It's usually green and yellow.

#3 is correct too.

7. TwoFastT3s

huh? You mean run the white wire all the way up to the TFI, and find the green and yellow wire that is no longer used (coming out of the TFI?)

8. TwoFastT3s

And if so, would that wire need to be shielded?

Nate

p.s. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna find this problem one way or another!!! :welder:

9. tt350chevelle

Yes... looks like the green and yellow.

Brad J.

tfi.JPG #ad

10. Matt Cramer

Precisely. The MSD runs a fair amount of current through its white wire. The TFI spark output wire is designed to handle this current. I don't know what hooking the white wire up to a PIP wire would do to a TFI module but I would prefer not to find out.

11. TwoFastT3s

Got it. Thanks Matt. I mounted the coil last night, I also put in a MSD RFI filter per MSD instructions . They thought it might not be a bad idea, and it was pretty cheap. I have not tried to go around the MS yet, going to the track tonight to do some testing and get some datalogs, then we'll go from there.

Nate