1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Meth njection

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Nov 14, 2015.

1. vht

I was thinking about building my own kit, Devils own has nozzles and some small parts I'd need, and I got all kind of line and push loc fittings. Have any of you done this with good results? A boost switch is 29.00, nozzles aren't that expensive. I don't see shelling out $400 for a kit myself. This will be for a blow thru set up. Just doing a budget build and looking for ideas.

2. turbomalibuwagon

I'm interested in this as well . I have a 5 gallon aluminum cell and lots of line I need to get a pump and nozzles. Just get a basic kit built and try it.

3. vht

McMaster Carr has nozzles. pt # 3178k77

4. pavementpounder

5. Unatural

I'm running a Sur-Flo 8000-543-238 pump, with "quick release vacuum lines and fittings" and nozzles from AIS. I've been running this setup for years, and it works great. For a long time, I triggered it with a simple Hobbs switch, that turned the pump on at 3 psi, but now I use my Megasquirt to trigger it.

The only thing that you need to do, is make sure you turn the screw all the way in, on the bottom of the pump, to increase the pressure that it makes. I just replaced my pump, after about 6 years of use, because I saw that it was starting to decrease the amount of flow that it had.

Here is a shot of the spray pattern of my M10 equivalent nozzles from AIS, with that pump.

[​IMG]#ad

This is a shot of the spray pattern from one of the M15 nozzles from McMasterCarr. As you can see, the nozzle itself is WAY more intrusive in the intake pipe, and the spray pattern is not nearly as fine. The issue there, is that it is not going to evaporate as quickly, thus making the cooling effect less effective, over equal distances.

[​IMG]#ad

6. vht

I've heard the McMaster Carr's wasn't to good. I've been doing some research and figured on Cooling Mist or Devils Own nozzles. I decided on 1 of there boost switches instead of a hobbs, not much difference in price. I've found Shur Flow pumps that are rated pretty good, figured I'd try 1 of them for around $60. What nozzle size would be best for a 6.0, 2 76mm on3's? Also, will the nozzle work best spraying directly in the carb, blow thru? Believe it or not, I'm building a gasser this is going in. I'm going to mount a alum 2 gal tank on the front, gasser style, and use it for the 50/50 mix. Any other pointers would be appreciated, and thanks for the info on the nozzles.

7. Unatural

You want to make sure that the pump is able to make a lot of pressure. Without the pressure, it will not get good atomization of the fluid. The pump I have will easily peg 100 psi, when you crank the screw all the way down. Without turning the screw down, it just about dribbles out of the nozzles. I'm not sure that the $60 pumps will be able to make the kind of pressure that you want.

You also want to get a pump with Viton seals in it. Otherwise, the alcohol/methanol will eat them up over time.

Generally, the farther away from the carb/TB you spray it, the more chance it has to completely evaporate, thus decreasing the air temp at a maximum. If you do some searching on here, Rodney, from AIS, has put A LOT of good information in prior threads about methanol injection. Look around, and read up on them.

The nozzle size you want will really depend on the goals you're looking for. I would suggest talking to the company that you will be buying the nozzles from, and see what they recommend.