1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Throttle body cant handle boost

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Lunatic, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Lunatic

Hi i have a yamaha vmax 1700 with a dbw throttle body. At about 13 psi the boost over powers the blades and keeps them from opening the correct angles. Im guessing the throttle blade motor isnt strong enough against the pressure.
    How do i fix this and is there any shops that can put in a stronger motor or am i done with only 13 psi? Any advice is appreciated.

2. B E N

How about a larger throttle body off of something else or an aftermarket unit? Most throttle bodies run similar voltages, it would just be a matter of adjusting the tune for the flow difference.

3. Lunatic

Well i have a billet plenum box that fits over the current set up. Would be way cheaper if i could just find a more powerful replacement motor. Just hoping maybe some one has a source for motors or a shop that could do the swap.

4. Disney Lincoln

In order to make 13psi, you would have to have the throttle open, no? Ok, if the TB blade is open 80-100% then it would reason that the pressure across the blade is equal, or very close to equal. So then I can't figure how the boost pressure would then shut the blades. It's not like you have 13psi ahead of the blade before you crack the TB open. I could see how many that could cause an issue, but you would have to have the blade open to make the 13psi. I wonder if your problem is elsewhere.

B E N likes this.
  5. Lunatic

6. Lunatic

7. Lunatic

Top is my throttle map and the middle pics is it opening as it should and the last pic is it lagging way behind target. Tps and rpms are column b &c.

8. Lunatic

100% throttle should be in by 5500 rpms but sometimes it never gets there during a run and sometimes its on target.

9. fastspec2

I'm not familiar with that software, but is there a rate of rotation clip or some type of limit based on tps dot or rpm rate? Alot of late model drive by wire systems use a number of clips and rate controls. You may be running into something like that here.
    Also may be useful to log hand throttle position to make sure that sensor is showing 100% max request.
    Also it looks like your throttle map is setup for 2nd gear according to the pages title so I assume there is a gear selected sensor? Might want to make sure that shows 2nd gear if the tables are different from gear to gear.
    Does this ecu have any type of traction control being used? If so you may be running into an effect of the TC pulling power.
    Does this ecu support any type of "source values" to tell you where the ecu is pulling its target throttle position from?
    What ecu is it?
    What is the E column?
    Does it actually feel any different or is it possible the TPS in the TB is inaccurate?

10. Lunatic

First off thanks for the lengthy reply.
    To answer a few questions it is a oem denso ecu that i flash with software from ftecu.com .Yes the throttle is gear dependent but i have the same map in each gear. And yes i can actually feel it lay over struggling to rev when its doing it. I don't
    think i can log the hand throttle running but i have checked it in diagnostic mode and it is working correctly not running. And no i don't have traction control . Colum E is what gear its in.
    Oh and your wisdom is beyond mine so i might not be able to answer in a correct manner. Thanks