1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

PINION ANGLE FOR DRAG RADIALS

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by bjborum89, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bjborum89

WHAT PINION ANGLE ARE YOU GUYS SETTING YOUR CARS FOR WITH DRAG RADIALS? MY SET-UP WILL BE 90 COUPE, TWIN TURBO MOD MOTOR, POWERGLIDE, 275 60 15 MT, 3200LBS.. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

2. 86sspcoupe

I run the 275/60/15 and -3* short times are in the 1.34-1.38 range

3. jt351

Pinion angle has nothing to do with tires or hp, setting negative pinion angle has to do with how mushy and compliant the control arm bushing are, and what type of suspension. leaf spring ladder bar, 4 link etc. I run a torque arm My rear does not change. So basically the mushier the more negative needed, but more hp and traction will make more change.

4. TeamZmotorsports

5. turbofalcon65

6. jt351

7. Will Evers

CAPS anyone?

8. Gen1SVE

92 coupe, 275-40-17's, -3 pinon angle, 1.5's 60'

9. TeamZmotorsports

The two links kind of contradict each other, the buick link shows pinion angle as a relationship between the trans tail shaft and pinion, and the car craft says it is the relationship between the drive shaft and pinion!
    The buick guy seems real angry, and he dosent agree with Jerry Bickle :doh: But Dick miller put it best, it's a comprimise between power and traction,
    So actually it does have allot to do with tires, we run different pinion angles for radials than slicks, and even different angles for a stiff side wall slick!

10. rick90lx

Dave, I got my coilover kit, strange shocks, uppers and offset lowers from ya, I'm running a 325/50 bfg, got a recommendation?

11. TeamZmotorsports

yea get the mickys....LOL...J/K start with -3 0n the BFG if your running my suspension!

12. move

13. rick90lx

Yeah I'll get the Mickys next time around, I figured If I can get the bfg's to hook, the Mickys will be a breeze. Thanks

14. papis408w

Rick I'm glad your still at it with your stang. It's taken us awhile,lol. I'm almost done with the TeamZ mini tub and rear coilover kit install. A buddy asked what pinion angle am I going with. I was going to call Dave but I guess I got my answer. Only difference is I will be using the MT 325's.

15. TeamZmotorsports

That's more realistic example! Most of the time you cant ge the crank center line as low as they are showing in the first illistration,nor would you want that in a mustang running a 28 to 30 inch tall tire, the illistrations are showing a straight line but the numbers are showing real world angularity, this is the reason when we put a motor plate and mid plate in we spend 6-8 hours allighning everything!

16. move

I agree it takes forever to make sure your engine is sitting exactly right when you do a motor plate. That's not even taking into account the flimsy Mustang that twist every time you transfer the engine weight!

Right now I have managed to get the engine 2* high in the front, relative to the rocker panels being level. That was the lowest I could go using a Team Z K-member, Canton Pan, stock rack bushings and have enough room for the driveshaft. Since I am using a C6, plus having the engine pushed back to the fire wall makes a difference in my pinion angle.

It's probably not in is final position either! Funny how so many things can make a differance.

17. turbofalcon65

Keep up with the tread this is a awesome learning curve :cheers:

18. rick90lx

Yeah its taken some time man, Chassis is in the process of a full color change and then assembly over the winter. Using a product called "chassis saver" underneath to cover all the fab work for the tubs / subframes and such. Late spring early summer before It comes out though.
    [​IMG]#ad
    :2thumbs:

19. chromeyellow

good info, thanks

20. Supe

I disagree with that 460 site. Driveline angle and pinion angle are two completely separate matters.